Bathory albums ranked

Motörhead isn't black metal

Hence why the first two Bathory albums not being liked by people who dont black metal is shitty reasoning.

1. Under the Sign of the Black Mark
2. Hammerheart
3. Bathory
4. Blood on Ice
5. Twilight of the Gods
6. Nordland I
7. The Return.....
8. Nordland II
9. Blood Fire Death
10. Destroyer of Worlds
11. Requiem
12. Octagon

No, I meant I prefer Bathory doing their Venom-style sloppy as fuck speedy shit over Venom's style, but yeah.

Oh okay fair enough.

Me personally, I take Venom over Bathory, but maybe not The Return, though it's a close one for me. After that, Bathory blow Venom out the kiddy pool.

1. Hammerheart
2. Twilight of the Gods
3. Blood Fire Death
4. Blood on Ice
5. Under the Sign of the Black Mark
6. Nordland I
7. Nordland II
8. The Return...
9. Bathory
10. Requiem
11. Destroyer of Worlds
12. Octagon

All albums to and including Requiem is atleast great and Destroyer of Worlds is a good album. Octagon is the only suspicious one.

they're black metal in the same way venom and mercyful fate is

if you musically don't like 'black metal' in the more typically understood way - that is second wave onward - that isn't a sign that you have no chance of liking the first two bathory albums

as mentioned, they're basically motorhead/venom albums

don't be purposefully obtuse here

Reactions: CiG
I'll admit, I hadn't listened to the first two very carefully, so I relistened today. I do hear the Venom connection. Still harsher / more inaccessible than Venom, though, and way more so than Motorhead.

I swapped the s/t and The Return on my list. The s/t at least has fun riffs and keeps the energy high. The Return is monotonous as fuck, and I'll be happy not to hear it again for a long time.

Last edited:
they're black metal in the same way venom and mercyful fate is

if you musically don't like 'black metal' in the more typically understood way - that is second wave onward - that isn't a sign that you have no chance of liking the first two bathory albums

as mentioned, they're basically motorhead/venom albums

don't be purposefully obtuse here

If you think that there is a schism between the "First and Second Waves of Black Metal", then you don't really understand the actual history of black metal. It was contiguous. Mayhem formed in 84, and they are regarded as a "Second Wave" band. Deathcrush, released in 87, is considered a staple of the Second Wave. Whereas Under the Sign of the Black Mark, released in 1987, and Anno Domini by Tormentor, released in 1988, are First Wave? It doesn't really make any sense.

If you think that there is a schism between the "First and Second Waves of Black Metal", then you don't really understand the actual history of black metal. It was contiguous. Mayhem formed in 84, and they are regarded as a "Second Wave" band. Deathcrush, released in 87, is considered a staple of the Second Wave. Whereas Under the Sign of the Black Mark, released in 1987, and Anno Domini by Tormentor, released in 1988, are First Wave? It doesn't really make any sense.

you're like 2 go back to your ball pit