Battle for Middle Earth

I was going to get TW but comparing the two games in looks/features I decided to wait for Middle Earth. No way I can get both because I'm still too hooked on Battlefield Vietnam as well! I got Call of Duty the other day at Best Buy for $10 and that's a pretty killer game too.

The thing is .... I love Generals!! Haha. It's based on the same engine but the features and hero development etc. looks to be much different... as well as the cool looking (we'll see how it plays) interface structure.

i got it, played it, beat the Evil campaign.

its fun but the goals get repetitive after a while "Kill everything!" is only fun so many times over. would be better with more strategic campaign goals. haven't tried multiplayer yet, but i assume it must be slightly more interesting.

i completed both campaigns, and i found evil to be more fun. haven't tried multiplayer so perhaps that adds a lot more playability, but once you've beaten the single player, you've beaten it... there's not really a want to go back and do it again if you conquered every province the first time around.

also, about repetitiveness, which i'd assume is a campaign issue and less apparent in multiplayer: i find that a lot of the missions are similar, involving massing a huge army, hotkeying my hero to 1, army to 2, and obliterating the map until i reach a castle. then the game practically stops while my army stands around waiting for seige units to build and report in, before i crush whatever is left alive. the defense missions were much more strategic, as was the one battle i entered with the "wrong" army by mistake, taking a 10 orc force into an immediate battle that took a lot of work to fend off attack squads while forming my army. unfortunately for the most part these were rare moments of difficulty in a really easy (strategically) game.

also, at least in campaign mode, some units were much overpowered. ranked and upgraded archers in large numbers were the apocalypse incarnate upon every force i encountered except for castle walls, which required me to build seige rams and ladders.