Which band do you like better?

• Iced Earth

Votes: 22 78.6%
  • Sonata Arctica

Votes: 6 21.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Originally posted by Ultima Ibanez Overlord
Cheers, Mark. I can't promise I'll like it, since I'm not a power metal fan, but I'll give both a go.

Cool, you don't have to. :cool:

They're not really power metal, unless you define power metal as clean vocals period.

They're far more aggressive and incorporate loads of thrashy riffs, especially their earlier stuff.

Originally posted by markgugs
Really? I'd start with 'Dark Saga' or 'Something Wicked...', but then again, I think they're all worth owning.

Something Wicked, definately. The Dark Saga is so...so...soo fucking boring. The first half of that album is spent slowly and blandly working-up to the very good last half, but by then, it's lost it's momentum. Something Wicked on the other hand, is something different altogether.

I'd say try a couple songs from Something, Burnt Offerings and one or two from Horror Show.

Originally posted by markgugs
Cool, you don't have to. :cool:

They're not really power metal, unless you define power metal as clean vocals period.

They're far more aggressive and incorporate loads of thrashy riffs, especially their earlier stuff.

Yeah. Vocally, and often thematically, is all they have in common with power metal. Sometimes the simplistic rhythm guitar chug chug is power metally, but overall, Iced Earth are most definately a thrash outfit. One listen to Stand Alone and you'll understand why. :D

Originally posted by Soulburner
Songs: Curse The Sky, Solitude, Funeral, Pure Evil, Slave To The Dark, Disciples Of The Lie, Prophecy, Dracula.

Albums: Iced Earth, Night Of The Stormrider, Dark Saga, Alive In Athens.

um... you forgot dantes inferno

I've never heard Iced Earth. Any recommendations?

"Something Wicked This Way Comes". A minor classic.

I'm not a power metal fan,

I have to agree with markgugs here. I consider them more thrash/prog than power, but power fans would generally like 'em.

Hmm, wel, I listened to Dark Saga, and I can't say I liked it much. I'm probably alone on this, but the singer sounded a little like Faith No More :rolleyes:
I just got Blessed Are You. Guess who the song is credited to on the version of the file I found? None other than Sonata Arctica :lol:
I can see why, though. There are similarities, at least in this song's intro.

Well, nothing in it for me to like. I didn't much like the vocals and I didn't think much of the playing.
I guess I'll have to vote for SA 'cause at least I like some of the keyboards on their first album.

Doesn't mean you won't like "Something Wicked This Way Comes" though. You have to hear IT before you can have complete closure on this issue! :heh: Only after hearing SWTWC can you truly be sure. Personally I like Dark Saga a lot, but I don't think it's an ideal representation of what Iced Earth do (or should I say "did"? Another album like "Horror Show" and I'll be disowning them completely!).

:cool:

I know. I appreciate it. My snobbish tone was meant to be in jest. Sorry, man.

Awww, damn, no need to apologize mate! No offence was taken and I enjoyed the mock arrogance for what it was. Actually, despite the fact "Something Wicked..." (IMO) would've been a far better album on which to judge Iced Earth, I'm half inclined to agree with you after their subsequent album...but that wouldn't be any fun would it? :lol: They were good once though.

I think the Dark Saga just beats Something Wicked in all aspects
from Something Wicked the trilogy is fucking good