Beardfish - The Void

modernwizardry

I want stout!
Aug 18, 2009
Chicago, IL
satanshallow.bandcamp.com
Beardfish has a new album released next week on InsideOut. There are some nice pre-orders on CMDistro with t-shirts. Very much looking forward to it! Also would love to see them at Progpower USA!

Samples on amazon:
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/The-Void/dp/B008OI61ZI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1345591551&sr=8-3&keywords=beardfish+the+void[/ame]

From their facebook:
Only about 1 ½ years after the release of their last record "Mammoth", Beardfish are now back with a new masterpiece. "The Void" will be released on August 27th 2012 in Europe and on August 28th 2012 in the US via InsideOutMusic. It is darker, heavier and in some parts it even has a bit of a metal edge to it, while still incorporating all that Beardfish and their typical warm retro-sound stand for.

The band comments: "We went full-on with this one... We've had some trouble in the past to convey our live energy on the studio albums. This is the one that shines through, I think! It's an album about loss. It's about love. It celebrates both life and death and the struggle in between to heal the wounds that don't show and to actually take the step to move forward in life. We've been waiting to share these songs with all of you for a while now and we, Beardfish, are really proud to present to you 'The Void'"

Track Listing:
1 Intro (by Andy Tillison)
2 Voluntary Slavery
3 Turn To Gravel
4 They Whisper
5 This Matter Of Mine
6 Seventeen Again
7 Ludvig & Sverker
8 He Already Lives In You
9 Note
I. Note
II. Descending
III. The Void
IV. Note (reprise)
10 Where The Lights Are Low
Bonus Track:
11 Ludvig & Sverker Solo Piano Version

Just listening to this and it's a real varied piece of work, varying from the bluesy Where The Lights are Low to the very heavy Voluntary Slavery. It even has some jazzy elements and a bit of The Doors influence. All of which is done very well.

Which begs the question, has this band ever been seriously considered for ProgPower USA? They've done 7 albums and seem to be quite popular in the prog circles. Just curious. I have yet to explore there back catalog but after listening to this I'm very intrigued.