1 American Vermin
2. Smothered In Sundress
3 Hell Goes Thru Hanging Dog
4 One Shovel and a Place to Die
5 Where The Sewer Meets the Sea
6 Pillars of Tomorrow, Piles of Yesterday
7 Vertigo
8 Running Out of Neck

BEATEN BACK TO PURE is just plain dirty, southern metal through and through. Musically, they blend some cool jam band moments with southern tinged stoner rock, some down home sludgy doom metal and are never afraid to pull out the SLAYER styled trump card when it fits the moment. Basically, these guys just rock and make no excuse by trying to label anything. The imagery that BEATEN BACK TO PURE portrays through the music is hard to deny: this is beer drinking metal and they are definitely proud of it.

The production is really raw and really shines through. The guitar tones have this really muddy low end to them, and are just plain damn heavy. The vocals are amazingly fitting. No fake heavier than thou vocals. It sounds like the lead singer smoked a carton of cigarettes and a bottle of Jack Daniels while recording his session. Even with the raspiness he extrudes, there is still moments of some heavy death influenced growls, and even some clean vocals, which remind me a lot of what Zakk Wylde would do. Overall, his vocal style does reminds me a lot of PRO-PAIN’s Gary Meskill; just the harshness in his delivery, but never really over powering to the actual music.

I am really looking forward to what these guys can offer in the future. This is the type of band that would just fit right at home with Relapse records. Really, everything from the production, to the imagery would make a good fit with Relapse. Are you listening to me? This album deserves to be adorned by the masses. Raw and dirty, and catchy in all the right places, BEATEN BACK TO PURE are ready to stake their claim among the southern tinged metal elite.

Rating: 7.5 /10

Evil C

This album rocks, I only listened to the CD-R once and bought the album. Reminded me of Eyehategod but with discernable time signatures.