Beefing up choruses

I assume he means the AM radio effect at the beginning of a chorus and then KABOOM, but maybe I'm wrong... (either way, I don't see what that has to do with headphones, it's just the closest thing I could think of :D)

Thanks for all of the responses:)
Fortunately the band I'm recording right now has a synth so we'll mess around with that later on today:)
Thanks Aaron!

Ahjteam once explained that to beef up certain parts of songs he would record the chorus or whatever through a pair of headphones into his condenser mic and then process the shit out of what came out
throw some reverb, delay, comp, eq and put it far back enough in the mix that you can't clearly here that it's there, but it adds to the mix
I tried it on the choruses of the last song I recorded with this band and it worked out fairly well I think
Although the mix sounds a little crowded to me:/

http://files.getdropbox.com/u/767557/Sleight Of Hand.mp3

Automate a tempo matched delay panned to the opposite side of the guitar
So for the Rhythm Guitar on the right, automate a delay in panned to the left, and same for the left rhythm guitar

On this latest mix I'm doing, beefing up effects on the lead vocal seemed to do the trick (Waves Doubler, 1/4 note delay, etc..). Or bringing up a tempo-timed stereodelay (1/8th + 1/16th or triplets of these) under just so that it widens things some more.

It does help that the arrangement is such that it kicks up the choruses.

(BTW, tambourines and shakers of all kinds are a damn good method! :) )

So for the Rhythm Guitar on the right, automate a delay in panned to the left, and same for the left rhythm guitar

Sounds great!

I always use synths for choruses.. but that really depends on the music really.

Yeah, it's great for huge, chordy choruses.
Gives it an epic amount of vibe and space
Not so great for more notey choruses, but for chordy shit, it's like getting a blowjob from a triple cunted hooker (except with the pleasure being in the ears :D)

(BTW, tambourines and shakers of all kinds are a damn good method! :) )

Haha, I just now noticed a shaker in the left channel during the chorus of Dokken's "Heaven Sent" - not something I'd say "beefs" up a chorus, per se, but I guess it works! (though it's kinda driving me crazy now that I've noticed it :lol: )

...no one mentioned automate rhythm guitars up 2dB? Raise reverb sends on drums and lead guitars a bit.

A GREAT idea, is to turn on a stereo widener on rhythm guitars for the chorus for solely the quad-tracked guitars. This way the chorus sounds more massive than the rest of the song.

-Greg

Forgot that boosting guitars up!

Some even boost the whole master up, even going slightly higher as the song progresses.

And if you have room mics for your drums, mute them in the verses and bring them on in the chorus.

Haha, I just now noticed a shaker in the left channel during the chorus of Dokken's "Heaven Sent" - not something I'd say "beefs" up a chorus, per se, but I guess it works! (though it's kinda driving me crazy now that I've noticed it :lol: )

Yeah, they won't "beef up", but they provide a steady pulse and create excitement. Especially if it's a chorus that doesn't have a defined rhythm to it, like, say, in a slow song. Sometimes a synth arpeggio works as a shaker "stand-in".. :loco:

So is that as simple as setting the bpm of the track panning the right guitars delay to the left and vise versa, bring it in on the chorus via automation, voila?

Ahjteam once explained that to beef up certain parts of songs he would record the chorus or whatever through a pair of headphones into his condenser mic and then process the shit out of what came out
throw some reverb, delay, comp, eq and put it far back enough in the mix that you can't clearly here that it's there, but it adds to the mix
I tried it on the choruses of the last song I recorded with this band and it worked out fairly well I think
Although the mix sounds a little crowded to me:/
thanks alot, yeah, that makes some sense :)