Quad guitars panning

Plugin

New Metal Member
Sep 6, 2012
Hello,
I have a question about panning quad tracked guitars.

The more common method is panning 4 guitars like this:
Sound 1 100% L
Sound 2 75-85 or 100% L
Sound 1 100% R
Sound 2 75-85 or 100% R

just curious if someone uses two totally different sounds on the right and left to help the width
Sound 1 100% L
Sound 1 75-85 or 100% L
Sound 2 100% R
Sound 2 75-85 or 100% R
...in this case do you have some advice on how to treat the 4 sounds?

Another question: if you have two different guitars and 4, only in the choruses, which is your favourite method to deal with it?
Do you use the same sound so you have AA BB in the choruses or add a third sound? Or?

Thank you

Best

Each project has its specific needs so when I quad track, I do whatever sounds good to my ears. I quite like to blend two different sounds to shape one and do the same on the other side (5150 as main + VS8100 to blend, for example). If I use the same rig on both side, I tweak a little bit the amps just to avoid getting the exact same sound. Or I touch the proportion in the mix. For more rock-ish stuff, I prefer to have a more different sound per side. Hope this helps!

I don't have a preference for using two different tones vs quad-tracking with the same, but I like to split my panning by parts - I like symmetry, and to my ears it sounds really annoying to hear something like The Trooper with one harmony part on the left and one on the right.

So, for me:
Part A - 100 L
Part B - 80 L
Part A - 80 R
Part B - 100 R

What works for me is
Guitar 1: 100L & 75-85L
Guitar2: the same but on the right

For the 100 guitars L&R I use the same rig then on the 75-85 L&R same rig too
Sometimes the 4 guitars has the same settings, sometimes not

I don't have a preference for using two different tones vs quad-tracking with the same, but I like to split my panning by parts - I like symmetry, and to my ears it sounds really annoying to hear something like The Trooper with one harmony part on the left and one on the right.

So, for me:
Part A - 100 L
Part B - 80 L
Part A - 80 R
Part B - 100 R

Yeah, I do that way sometimes when it sounds better than one part left and the other part right.