Mixing Metal Guitars

consume the forsaken

New Metal Member
Jun 1, 2010
I'm sure this is a pretty newb question, but I thought I would ask anyway. I realize there are many different ways to mix guitars, but I was looking for some advice and clarification. Currently, I'm recording two guitar takes per riff/guitar part-- then panning one 100 right and 80 right, then for the second guitar part/guitar 2, I'm recording two guitar takes then panning 100 left and 80 left.

Does this sound about right? Or should I take guitar 1 and the harmonized version of that riff (guitar 2) and pan it to the same side and repeat for the other, like-- guitar part 1 (100 L) guitar part 2 harmonized riff (80 L) then do a second take of each of those riffs and do the same panned to the left side?

I'm sure this is a pretty newb question, but I thought I would ask anyway. I realize there are many different ways to mix guitars, but I was looking for some advice and clarification. Currently, I'm recording two guitar takes per riff/guitar part-- then panning one 100 right and 80 right, then for the second guitar part/guitar 2, I'm recording two guitar takes then panning 100 left and 80 left.
Does this sound about right? Or should I take guitar 1 and the harmonized version of that riff (guitar 2) and pan it to the same side and repeat for the other, like-- guitar part 1 (100 L) guitar part 2 harmonized riff (80 L) then do a second take of each of those riffs and do the same panned to the left side?

First of all - USE A SEARCH FUNCTION! Your question was discussed here over 1 billion times I think.
And use your ears, dude... it's the best advice IMO.

Cheers.

1. Yeah, it's a newb question. As mentioned, ten seconds with the search function will give you approximately 3.4 x 10^23 threads about guitar panning.

2. For two takes of two guitars, your choices are basically this:

Guitar 1: 100L, 80L
Guitar 2: 100R, 80R

Guitar 1: 100L, 100R
Guitar 2: 80L, 80R

Guitar 1: 100L, 80R
Guitar 2: 80L, 100R

80 can just as easily be 75, 70, 65, whatever sounds good to you.

I prefer the third setup, largely because it bothers me if things sound at all lopsided, but I still want a distinct left and right guitar.

Use the search function.

Regarding the 'harmonizing' factor, it's up to you. Choose whatever sounds best. I prefer them separate, for eg, one riff to 100L/80L, and the other to 100R/80R. The Disturbed guys did the opposite. Sounds great too. You can hear it on 'Perfect Insanity'

Alright thanks, i checked it out. Lets say I was only double tracking and I had a guitar part that had a harmony played in thirds of the same riff, would I just track the main rhythm guitars twice and pan one hard left and right, then record the harmony of the main riff and pan down the center?

Alright thanks, i checked it out. Lets say I was only double tracking and I had a guitar part that had a harmony played in thirds of the same riff, would I just track the main rhythm guitars twice and pan one hard left and right, then record the harmony of the main riff and pan down the center?

I'd do 2 tracks of each and pan them as you see fit. Usually if I have harmonies in 3rds in rhtyhms I pan them to where one side's dominant sound is the root, the other side is the harmony, but YMMV.