Guitar panning which is your favorite?

broken81

Used by Protools
Dec 26, 2005
Detroit, MI
Well I just did a project and I had 2 guitar players. We will call them player A and player B.

Now i recorded 2 tracks of both guitar players so 4 tracks total. Now i panned Guitar player A track 1-100% left and then Guitar player A track 2-100 right. Then i took guitar player B track 1-80% left and then Guitar player B track 2-80% right.

Ive also done this way also Guitar player A track 1-100% left and track 2 80%left and then Guitar plater B track 1-100% right and track 2-80% right. This way each guitar player has there own side basicly....

Do you guys use one way more than the other? Just curious :)

I play all of my guitar tracks, but harmonized things go on opposite sides so I'm going to have to go with A100L, A80L, B80R, B100R - it makes things sound less 'odd' with harmonization and a player tends to align to his tracks more precisely than to the other guitarists' tracks.

Jeff

Also, I much prefer having some kind of stereo imaging to different riffs, so yeah, always one player/part, one side for me too

1 guy on the left, 1 guy on the right, leads in the middle.

It doesn't sound right to have both parts on each side and really can take away from the music if the guitarists are playing different parts imo.

I like to mix fairly close to like I'm watching a band at the show. Guitarist on the left side of the stage is on the left and the guitarist on the right side is on the right. Same with drums, I'm looking at them with their hats on the right and ride on the left if they're playing right handed.

It doesn't sound right to have both parts on each side and really can take away from the music if the guitarists are playing different parts imo.

I like to mix fairly close to like I'm watching a band at the show. Guitarist on the left side of the stage is on the left and the guitarist on the right side is on the right. Same with drums, I'm looking at them with their hats on the right and ride on the left if they're playing right handed.

I always pan it the opposite, like I'm sitting behind the kit... If I pan it from the audience perspective it throws off my air drumming :lol:

Well the debate between drummer/audience perspective is never-ending, and I've heard great recordings using both, but I know I prefer my tom rolls to go left-to-right high-to-low, so drummer's perspective for me!

Both sound good as far as drummer or audience perspective. If I'm air drumming, then I need the drummer perspective, but generally I like to think of it as if I'm watching the band play and like it to sound similar to that. Of course live, you don't really hear the drums going from left to right or vice versa.

Anyway, on subject, panning different rhythm guitar parts on top of each other is a no no in my book unless they're the exact same.

I prefer one rhythm guitarist, four takes. They can alternate songs if they want, but one song one guitarist. Leads and overdubs can be split, if they both are good enough. Otherwise, best player tracks all. And I choose who is best.

Its weired cause when i panned them over top of each other the mix really came alive. This was just not working when I tried to make each guitarist have there own side.

All my other recordings have been each guitarist has there own side. Does not sound like the first way i mentioned is to popular though. :Smug:

i also do that...but if i have competing solos the i do one 45% left and the other 45% right