WHAT's WITH THE DAMN BASS GUITAR?

sounds like a fine crafted axe in the hands of a bass jedi :headbang:
I had a schecter C4 for awhile. Tracking with that resulted in a hot fart with the knobs cranked, and (albeit more usable) an "old strings"ish sound with the knobs flat. I couldn't win either way =/ i eventually switched to a mexican p-bass and was delighted tenfold with the tonal results over the more expensive (and sexier looking/better playing) schecter.

well I've never played a schecter bass, but I'm pretty sure a Precision bass can beat it in my book, I'm more of a passive pickup lover. But yeah, Egan's thing is definitely a fine crafted axe in the hands of a bass jedi :headbang:

I do the exact same thing . only when i go from the parallel out from the sansamp to the interface i use that as my Low end.....So its a nice clean tight lowend and not wobble from distortion and then i use the grindy part of the sansamp for the highend......Do you see anything wrong this way? or is it important too amplify the Clean bass di track?

there's never any wrong! sounds like you do basically the same thing as mine, only skipping the tubepre (which doesn't really do a TON, just adds a bit of tube glow.) i tend to prefer plugin drive over pushing the sansamp, the sansamp as a "OD stomp box" has never given me really awesome results. but if it works for you! got samples?

try recording the bass before the guitars, could become easier to build a nice mix that way

well that (like mostly everything in the AE realm) varies by opinion, I have heard the exact opposite many times also. "Always record bass after the guitars, so you can work out a tone that fits with the guitars". I´m not sure which could prove better for me, but I think guitars first is more comfortable for me to work (as a bassist point of view, not Engineer point of view)