When Quad tracking?

scorpio01169

Aug 6, 2006
San Antonio, Texas
assuming you are tracking two guitars left and two right, I know most of you you do a 100%/80% L & R. but my question is when doing a break and one side is doing a solo riff (not the actual solo) do you have the 100% track doing the rif or the 80% track or both? i hope you guys understood the question.

I do - like when everything drops out, and only one guitar is playing on one side, before the other comes in. I never quad-track, so it's never been an issue to me, but I always wondered how people who do went about dealing with it!

When I do quad track which is very seldom these days. I tend to drop out everything but the 100% guitar when parts like that hit. Sometimes I will even lofi it a bit to make it hit even hard when everything drops back in.

depends...most of the time i'll end up having the 4 rhythm guitars play the break (on both sides) and the solo guitar doing the run, either panned center, to the side, or double tracked L/R. but once again, depends on the song...

This is something I've been experimenting with lately. Whenever I quad track, I usually have the 80% L/R guitars a little lower in volume so whenever just one side is playing alone, I use only the 100% L or R. It usually works pretty well because then when everything else busts in I bring the 80% guitars back in and it gives it that much more punch.
p.s....FIRST POST! consider my forum cherry popped (in the least sexual way possible haha)

When I do quad track which is very seldom these days. I tend to drop out everything but the 100% guitar when parts like that hit. Sometimes I will even lofi it a bit to make it hit even hard when everything drops back in.

Hey, what do you use to "lofi" it, comb filtering or smth?

I just use an eq and drop out all the lows and highs and boost the mids. Mainly in that are where things tend be get nasal sounding.