How do you like to pan harmonies (when quad tracking)?

HCL

Holy Crap! Lions!
Jul 13, 2010
Plymouth, UK
This is something that's always interested me, I've never read anything on this. Say you have two guitar parts harmonising and you're quad tracking, do you like to pan LL/RR or LR/RL or LR/LR?

If they're panned identically each way, what does it matter? Just depends on the arrangement which part goes where, and personal preference. For instance, I like to put the higher stuff on the right side and the lower stuff on the right side. This also applies to EQ - I like to add a bit more grit to the guitar on the right, while the left guitar is smoother and has a little more low-end.

If they're panned identically each way, what does it matter? Just depends on the arrangement which part goes where, and personal preference. For instance, I like to put the higher stuff on the right side and the lower stuff on the right side. This also applies to EQ - I like to add a bit more grit to the guitar on the right, while the left guitar is smoother and has a little more low-end.

That's what I'm asking, because you if you're quad tracking, you could pan the second track of each harmony to the opposite side. If you had the left channel tracks in unison and the right channel tracks in unison the harmony feels very 'serparate'.

If you pan LR/RL it's going to sound different to LR/LR although both would sound a lot denser than LL/RR.

Are you always panning 100%? When quad tracking (I must be retarded because I always thought that this was technically called "double tracking", and "quad tracking" is 4 of the exact same guitar part which I never did because that just seemed excessive) like you are describing, I always spend a while playing around with panning. Each pair is panned at something like 100% and 50-60% (with this volume dropped a bit).

For what it's worth, when I'm going for a really wide mix I usually pan the guitar verb to the opposite side (so L/R and RVerb/LVerb).