Partial Quad tracking (?)

Vice//Versa

Dude among dudes
May 5, 2013
California
Hey guys, I know there's tons of old threads about double tracking vs quad but after noticing multiple people talk about "selective" quad tracking I had a couple doubts. I guess the best way of describing what I mean is by example:

Verse (double tracked) > Chorus (quad tracked) > Bridge (double tracked > Breakdown (quad tracked)

Would I automate the extra pair so that the apparent volume is the same? bus to a compressor set to squash the quad tracked bits? or keep the extra pair going and switch to a different DI once I get to the chorus/breakdown (which would allow for a different tone which is always nice)? Do any of you guys do this often?

I do this a fair bit. Don't do anything with a comp to squash them together or switch DIs or anything like that, I just mix them in how I want it. Breakdowns need to sound heavier? Extra pair behind the originals. Chorus bigger? Go for a bigger sounding tone with the two addtl tracks if necessary.

It sounds like it's totally worth the extra hassle. Any general tips? should I listen through my mastering chain and move the faders while relying on the limited pushing down the extra guitar rms? Do you guys normally use a different amp/general tone?

I usually change guitar tones depending on the section of the song, so the chorus would a be a slightly different tone than the breakdown for example. Sometimes it's just something as simple as automating the drive up a bit on some sections.

I like to quadtrack the whole thing and then adjust the level of the second set all the way through, rather than just record a few specific parts. You can also have some fun with automating a high-pass on the second set for things like ringing chords, to give it a bit of that "70s strings swelling in the background" feel.

Some riffs sound messy quad tracked. Breakdowns always sound great quad tracked. Chorus tend to sound messy quad tracked in my experience.