how do you pan double tracked rhythm guitars?

Oh, now I see that the original question was about two tracks only :loco: Haha, yeah, now I see why everyone wants to hang me. As a saturation whore I am, sometimes I forget people don't mix in a gazillion of tracks :D Notice I was talking about two extra guitars in the first post, wish somebody corrected me before this 'argument'. So yes, if the producer only has two tracks to work with, they should be panned hard right/left, sorry for the inconvenience, brain farts are common with me. (and if it's lacking saturation and connection, a tiny and short bandpassed reverb would suffice depending on the mood of the music (it makes a subtle difference even when mixed in at -50db) and also I masturbate to my headphones)

Is as 85L-85R panning considered to sound more natural than a 100L-100R panning?

I have tried both ways on some of my mixes (I admit I'm still kinda new to mixing with lots to learn), and I could not tell which sound I liked better.

Personally, 'natural' is a term you can just throw out the window when discussing modern metal.

But considering the panning, I'd say no. The main points of LCR mixing are better stereo separation, translation, mono compatibility with no real downsides. Plus it forces you to get your balances straight once you stop kiddin' yourself and realize that a 15% pan doesn't mean a goddamn thing.

As for the 'fatiguing' sound of LCR, some people here seem to have forgotten that there was a time when people recorded actual SOUNDS in some sort of SPACE and possibly even *gasp* few musicians at the same time.

You'd have bleed, room ambiences and considering gear, buss crosstalk, channel leakage etc.. All which contribute to the sound of humans actually playing fucking music.

Then you take a kid who constructs his drums from midi / snap-to-grid-edited pieces, throws a bunch of different drum samples from different sets and rooms, applies few different IRs (static room images) and plugins, on his gtr and bass tracks (which naturally have recorded straight DI, couple bars at a time, and then edited to death. Then you throw every plugin in your catalog to make this train wreck sound like something.. Then you try this cool LCR technique that the pros use, you read from the internet..

And then you come to the conclusion that LCR makes it sound unnatural in your headphones.

Happy new year everybody! Lets try to make this one a better one, aye?

Thanks again everyone for your input!

For clarification I should add that most of the time the two rhythm guitars I track play the same stuff exactly (I do user different tones on both). But on some parts one guitar will play a harmony, so I am not sure if that would be called double tracking then or if double tracking only refers to two guitars playing the exact same material 100% of the song?
Anyway, would you consider different panning in either situation? Would it make sane to have the panning automated so in parts where the one guitar plays a harmony the panning would change?

Just pan them hard left and right. As soon as you start panning two takes towards the middle, you're going to get some level of phase cancelation because what you're actually doing is starting to sum them to mono.

You can use automation during parts where only 1 guitar is playing to bring it back a little closer to the center.

Just pan them hard left and right. As soon as you start panning two takes towards the middle, you're going to get some level of phase cancelation because what you're actually doing is starting to sum them to mono.

You can use automation during parts where only 1 guitar is playing to bring it back a little closer to the center.

Thanks! :)

I am mixing my first EP at the moment and I want to get a somewhat cohesive sound throughout all the songs. Should I pan the rhythm guitars the same way on all tracks? Is it common practice to use whatever panning is preferred on all songs throughout an album or would it make sense to change on some songs where there are more layers for instance?