bands with one guitarist

AEL89

Jan 22, 2009
Rookie question but I thought I may as well get your opinions...

I'm recording a 3-piece soon who, obviously, have just 1 guitarist. I've never recorded a band with one guitarist before so I wanted to know how you approach that. Do you record 4 tracks of rhythm, or just double-track as usual and pan L/R? Or leave the main track in the middle and pan the double-track hard?

Alex

If he is good try quadtrack, it´s better be the same guy doing 4 takes that 2 guys doing 2 takes each. I use to pan like this: L-100/75 R-100/75

Without knowing any more details, I'd say just double track and pan L/R. If the band want to make it sound like they're playing live, then just pan the guitar somewhere and maybe make copy/double with a short delay on the other side just to widen things a bit (keeping it somewhat lower in volume than the original).

thanks a lot for your thoughts guys. I think I would have gone for the quad-tracking approach but I'll see how things go. If anyone has any other opinions - please post!

I'm the only guitarist in my band, and I normally quad track myself. The first CD I did with this band was a mix of 2, 3 and 4 takes depending on the section. The CD I'm doing at the moment there's normally 8 tracks, but that's 2 different guitar parts both quad-tracked - there's no intention of every playing this stuff live, so being able to recreate it live isn't really an issue.

Steve

Heavily depending on the type of music! It suits some rock bands just better with a more stripped down, less layered approach. But if it's modern heavy rock or metal, then base your decision on how tight the player is. It's not really different from 2 guitar player bands, for which one should also choose the tightest player to do most/all rhythm work.

Assuming a 2 players band should be double/quad tracked by the same guy... If they don't want a special "one guitarist" sound, it's exactly the same deal !

This band are coming in sometime during September. They're going for the very generic American pop-punk sound. From a production point of view I'm probably going to advise them to layer a second guitar part anyway...just need to hear their demos and see if it actually needs it. Apart from that I'll get the guitarist to play his part, doubled, then do the same again as if there was another guitarist.

Thanks for all the replies - I guess it wasn't such a stupid question considering I got so many constructive responses - cheers!

Alex

in addition to my earlier post...since it's been since mentioned that it's pop-punk stuff, i would recommend layering in some octaves and maybe some simple, single picked note lead sort of stuff in there. you don't want it to sound like there's more than just one guy playing all the time, but at the same time, that sort of stuff will probably sound like wimpy ass if it's just some guy strumming a couple power chords all the way thru.

Doubletrack first. Depending on how well he handles that should tell you if he's up for quad tracking.

I totally agree! You'll notice quite quickly if the guitarist will be able to do 4 good takes, if not you could be tracking for a week before you end up with a decent track. trust me, been there...

in addition to my earlier post...since it's been since mentioned that it's pop-punk stuff, i would recommend layering in some octaves and maybe some simple, single picked note lead sort of stuff in there. you don't want it to sound like there's more than just one guy playing all the time, but at the same time, that sort of stuff will probably sound like wimpy ass if it's just some guy strumming a couple power chords all the way thru.

Yeh that's what I intend to go for. I'll most likely get him to double-track the main rhythm part then some layer octaves and a simple lead for the chorus to bring it up a touch. If he's super-tight (chances are slim...) then I'll quad track.

I don't see how the number of guitarists in the band would dictate how you record the guitar tracks. It would always depend on the song and how the guitar lines are written. I mean, whats the difference between a 2 guitar band where both dudes play the exact same rhythms and just double or quad track vs. a single guitar band double or quad tracking parts?

I'm the only guitar player in our band and I quad track, with as many layer tracks as the song calls for (which isn't usually much).

I don't see how the number of guitarists in the band would dictate how you record the guitar tracks. It would always depend on the song and how the guitar lines are written. I mean, whats the difference between a 2 guitar band where both dudes play the exact same rhythms and just double or quad track vs. a single guitar band double or quad tracking parts?

I'm the only guitar player in our band and I quad track, with as many layer tracks as the song calls for (which isn't usually much).

Recreation of the sound live. You can't play a lead and rhythm at the same time, or can you? :err:

Recreation of the sound live. You can't play a lead and rhythm at the same time, or can you? :err:

You can't, but that doesn't stop all the artists who layer loads of guitar parts (and countless other instruments for that matter) on record but not live...

somewhat unrelated, but whenever i record crappy metalcore bands (frequently) i'll just see which of the two guitarists is the "dominant" one, yanno...the guy that writes everything and is clearly better, usually the kid who also insists on attempting to sing choruses...and make him just track everything. both parts. surprisingly, they usually don't object to this. the "dominant" guitarist is pleased to be large and in charge, the submissive guitarist is glad he doesn't hafta do anything, and i'm pleased because i can get quadded rhythms that are much more consistent.

now back to the topic: pop punk one guitar = dual track, octaves in the center if he wants it. does pop punk even ever have leads? besides those octaves on top? and BIG BIG BIG BASS! crunchy bass mids! hopefully that bass player won't be doodoo. huge crunchy rhythm bass is critical in scenarios like this, itt'l free the guitarist up to do things slightly more "lead"ish. think "set your goals", or...even like rancid, yanno, that huge bass pop-punk sound. you know what i mean.