How should I approach recording an ambidextrous, 8-string guitar player

I'm going to agree with everything Dan has said in this thread, and then answer your question since you've obviously already agreed to record....

Track Rhythm First, Track Leads Second, Double Track Everything, Automate and Edit the piss out of it so he thinks he's doing a better job than he is...

I'd even go as far as to split the rhythms in half as well. There are parts where he's doing bass lines and then strumming higher chords. So it would be like 4 rhythms altogether- Have him do every part he's multitasking separately. I'd track/edit drums and have him do a single/ scratch over it- then get into the meticulous punch ins and half time grossness. Good luck- sounds like you're going to need it.

I would seperate them. I had to look up this Tosin dude just to hear what it was supposed to sound like, first time I seen him.

I had a bass player years ago that played shit like that, crazy two handed suff that blew your mind. It's awesome when done correctly.

Im sorry but "nit picking"? no. He playing awfully, and if he dosnt have a grreat sense of timing drums etc arent gonna help that much.
This is going to be a very frustrating job for you, Id advise drop ins, and editing the shit out of whatever you manage to get out of him.
As has been said, your best off doing the leads and rythms seperatley to.

Lol, wow. Guys... All I was asking was how to approach recording a guitarist with this style, hybrid picking, and playing rhythms/leads simultaneously.
And yes, I'm still going to do it.

I come to you guys for advice or different perspectives on recording.
And I expect constructive criticism, yes, but I still feel like you guys are nitpicking at the littlest of things.
You guys are talking like there absolutely cannot be other guitarist's who play 8-strings and use the same techniques Tosin does, haha.
This video was posted as a rough song Idea, and he was simply jamming it out.
Obviously in a studio setting with a click, and scratch drums, it would be different.
The purpose of the video was to show you guys the style, and types of guitar parts, I'd be dealing with.

I'm honestly disappointed that many of you reacted so negatively and barely ever answered my actual question, and proceeded to hate on the dude, haha.
It's pathetic on behalf of some of you.

I do appreciate the responses, that had some sort of substance behind them, so, thanks to those dudes.

Well, then:

Doubletrack, pan left, pan right, badaboom, done.
If he wants to play the stuff at the same time you also record it at the same time.
Have fun.

the point a LOT of us are trying to make here is, it ALL starts with the source. doesn't matter fuck all how you track him if the source is no good...

with THAT being said.... record him BIT by BIT... try to quantify every part of his songs and do them section by section....just be careful to keep the ebb and flow intact...or in this case, enhance it with lots of editing.

that's my 'professional' advice brother...

The guy has got something going on but I don't think he's the finished article just yet. I would say record this separately. It seems like it be very hard to keep it clean/tight in that particular style.

Please understand though, I'm no expert and know next to nothing about recording techniques.

I totally echo what everyone else has said: if it's bad at the source, it'll be bad on record.

I'd treat the recording session no different from any other.
Start by listening to the player and their part(s). In this case, splitting up the parts will be advantageous in a big way. His playing sounds really uneven across the strings (especially changing from pick to fingers), so bass first then lead lines.

At least one full track per side (low/high), and with all cleans and leads doubled for center panning.

I'd also get the tempos worked out before anyone even goes near a recording studio.