Stupid Question About Quadtracking

If you have 2 guitarists and each one DOUBLES his part, that is DOUBLE TRACKING.

If it WERE QUAD tracking (like Metaltastic is saying) then how would you even achieve Double Tracking if you wanted to?!

One take per guitarist would be double-tracking if what Metaltastic is saying is true... and that just isnt true.

Darkening must be recording some pretty damn convincing guitarists if they can manage to play eight tracks total and still keep it tight ;)

Quad-tracking is definitely what Metaltastic said, at least for me and the people I have discussed guitar tracking.

I've done it myself.

4 tracks of the EXACT same thing (chorus rhythm)

and then 2-4 tracks of a harmonizing/2nd guitar part

I don't know HOW doubling a part became QUAD TRACKING just because there is a second guitar player who doubles their part?

If both guitarists are playing the exact same thing, then it WOULD be QUAD TRACKING, but that usually doesn't happen.

I get each guitarist to sort out what they are going to play on the recording, as it usually is different from what they play live. For example, on a chorus, one guitarist plays some octaves while the other plays chords. I will have 4 tracks of chords, and then one or 2 of octaves on top. In pretty much all parts of the song there will be 4 rhythm tracks (2 from each guitarist), and most of what they play will be similar (but not the same, taking into account harmonies etc).

Quad tracking takes long enough, recording 8 tracks is a time waster. If you need 8 rhythm tracks, something has gone wrong....

I get each guitarist to sort out what they are going to play on the recording, as it usually is different from what they play live. For example, on a chorus, one guitarist plays some octaves while the other plays chords. I will have 4 tracks of chords, and then one or 2 of octaves on top. In pretty much all parts of the song there will be 4 rhythm tracks (2 from each guitarist), and most of what they play will be similar (but not the same, taking into account harmonies etc).

Quad tracking takes long enough, recording 8 tracks is a time waster. If you need 8 rhythm tracks, something has gone wrong....

Goddamm internet! :kickass:

Haha, above is what I do. 4 tracks of chords (QUAD-TRACKING) and then 2 tracks of octaves/melody (DOUBLE-TRACKING). So the rhythm is QUAD TRACKED and the octaves/melody is DOUBLE TRACKED.

I never said 8 tracks of rhythm. That's OCTO-TRACKING. FUCK THAT.

And MOST of the time, I don't even QUAD-TRACK the rhythms... just DOUBLE-TRACK both guitarists.

BUT i still stand by the fact that having 2 guitarists both double-track their parts does NOT equal QUAD TRACKING.

So yeah. I'm gonna have a beer now (10:11 AM).

CHEERS GUYS!

Metaltastic: That is what Lamb of God has been doing the last few albums right? double tracking but splitting to three amps each i think

Machinated: I agree with you because I tried doing 8 tracks (4 each) last night and that was just a massive waste of fucking time... i mean we got them all sounding tight after a LOT of effort but way more effort than could be expected day in day out

my main question i guess really pertained to what darkening is talking about, is quad tracking 2 each or 4 each? seems to me like the reason we can't agree is that its situational depending on what the two guitar parts in question are

EDIT: also metaltastic, i listened to a bunch of songs from different bands whos sound im going for and your right it seems to be for the most part 1 guitar left and 1 right with certain parts on both sides I guess depending whats conisidered a "lead"... thanks for pointing that out or i'd be setting everything up the wrong way!

Darkening.... that's wut i thought :p I would probably not do quad-tracking for a long while since i only did one recording of a band now :p But maybe it'll get to quad tracking some time when i got tight enough guitarists i guess....

Anyway like Darkening said. Just Double Tracking the lines means one guitarist plays 2 of his lines(through different amps maybe) and a second one to do 2 takes of his own lines(through different amps maybe). Making a total of 4 tracks. Which i would personally pan like this:
(did it wrong in the previous post :p)

amp1: Line 1 @ L 100
amp1: Line 2 @ R 100
amp2: Line 1 @ R 80
amp2: Line 2 @ L 80

Uggh. I really mean no offense to anyone, but this thread has gotten too complicated for something so simple and common place. How about instead of arguing over terminology, just do what you think sounds good in the end, and keep several guidelines in mind:

- Listen to other CD's that you like, and REALLY pay attention to the production and hear how it's arranged.
- Copy/pasting is a no-no and will serve little benefit unless you're planning on doing some sort of parallel processing on the copied track.
- Splitting a signal and running to 2 or 3 amps at once is not multi-tracking either (and just begs for phase issues...although CAN work nicely at times for interesting sounds)
- The more doubled, quad, or whatever to the nth degree of tracks you stack means more chances for mud...and the more exact every part must be played. Having 4 tracks playing identical parts is hard enough, anything beyond that is basically overkill (but yes, I've heard some pieces with one guitarist stacking 6 tracks...though EQ'd differently for layers of sound).

Just my 2 cents...and with current inflation...that makes it worth about .5 cents I guess, so take it for what it's worth. :)

Hell i'm just listening to I,voyager from nevermore(one of the bands metaltastic called). That's definatly not 1 guitar per side ;) Look at the intro for brighter idea. I hear 2 guitar lines per side. Dunno what they panned for real.

double tracks is 2 guitarists, 1 performance each. L100 R100 - which is not center, since there will be differences between the two takes

quad-tracking is 2 takes per guitarist.

Hell i'm just listening to I,voyager from nevermore(one of the bands metaltastic called). That's definatly not 1 guitar per side ;) Look at the intro for brighter idea. I hear 2 guitar lines per side. Dunno what they panned for real.

Be sure you're listening to the Sneap remix and not that *cough* other producer's disaster...I mean...umm...mix. It's the only version allowed here in this forum. :lol: :headbang:

Be sure you're listening to the Sneap remix and not that *cough* other producer's disaster...I mean...umm...mix. It's the only version allowed here in this forum. :lol: :headbang:

Whahaha damnit :p just downloaded it from their website :OMG: guess it's not huh? Have to listen to more of andy's work anyway so :oops:

Whahaha damnit :p just downloaded it from their website :OMG: guess it's not huh? Have to listen to more of andy's work anyway so :oops:

Just teasin' you. :) I'm sure you got the right version...otherwise you wouldn't be able to tolerate it.

It's my lunch time here, so let's all just go grab a beer :kickass: It's on me. :)

One take per guitarist would be double-tracking if what Metaltastic is saying is true... and that just isnt true.

Yes it is - one guitarist plays his part one time on the left, the other his part one time on the right. Done many times on many albums, and sounds great.

And no, I can't think of any specifics, I just know they're out there.

hahahahaha. this is hilarious.

Regardless of how many dudes play the damn guitar, 4 performances/takes/tracks of the same guitar riff/solo/melody/whatever is quad tracking.

1 guitarist, 4 takes - quad tracking
2 guitarists, 2 takes a piece = 4 tracks = quadtracking
4 guitarists, 1 take a piece = 4 tracks = quad tracking
3 guitarists, 3 takes for one, 1 for the other = 4 tracks = quad tracking.

Seriously, it's 4 TRACKS. Nothing more, nothing less.

How can 2 guitar players tracking the same thing 2 times each NOT equal 4? Unless there's some new type of math where 2+2 does not equal 4.

srsly

hahahahaha. this is hilarious...
...How can 2 guitar players tracking the same thing 2 times each NOT equal 4? Unless there's some new type of math where 2+2 does not equal 4.

srsly

:lol: It's quantum mixing, where the rules of time/space are bent. :lol:

NWright...you just earned yourself a beer. (or beverage of choice) :kickass: