One EQ do tweak them both?...or..

maklin

New Metal Member
Jan 11, 2012
A question for all you guitar tone gurus...

If you have two rhythm guitars (panned hard L & R), and both are using the same amp sim (or amp), is it ok to use one EQ to tweak both of them. For example, in Logic Pro X you take both tracks and merge them to a summoning track stack, then process both with one plugin (in this case the stock EQ).

I realize that two different guitars with two different players will yield different tonal qualities, and may need to be treated individually. But I was just curious if anyone ever does what I mentioned above?

Thanks lads!

I use bus eq. I don't know if it's the proper way to do this, but in the end everything sums up to the big question: Does it sound good?

I use bus eq. I don't know if it's the proper way to do this, but in the end everything sums up to the big question: Does it sound good?

Very true, if it sounds good...then well, do it! I was just curious if other people do the same thing.

Both.

Individual EQ's on each channel to, for lack of a better explanation, maximize the potential of each guitar track. Gotta notch out fizzy stuff, maybe it's a little boxier than the other one, etc.

Buss EQ is for making the guitars as a whole fit into the mix

I use one EQ. Have A/B:ed it, and it really doesn't make a big difference compared to having two different EQ:s, and it conserves CPU usage also.

It it's two different players though, it depends on how different they play, they might require different EQ:s.

As a sidenote, I often use same EQ on both sides.

Both.

Individual EQ's on each channel to, for lack of a better explanation, maximize the potential of each guitar track. Gotta notch out fizzy stuff, maybe it's a little boxier than the other one, etc.

Why i never thought of taking this approach is beyond me...

Thanks for the tip!

Both.

Why i never thought of taking this approach is beyond me...I have always been doing one or the other. :loco:

Thanks for the tip!

Both.

Same here. EQ each to get rid of the nasty stuff, common EQ on a buss channel (or folder in REAPER) to shape the whole sound.

If the two guitars are extremely similar (double tracked parts by the same player through the same amp in the same room, for instance) I'll just skip processing each and go right to the combined buss/folder.