Stupid Question About Quadtracking

God, I hate to drag this rediculous thread out any longer...however...Where did "we all agree" to this? If this statement is correct...then a vast majority of us on this board, including the founding member, Mr. Sneap, are guilty of "overkill" and are nu-metal simpletons.....and I hardly think that is the case.

Playing the EXACT same part...either with same guitar/amp/mic setup...or changing things around and mixing things up...is what many of us have been doing for yeeeears. Including many of the clips you hear around this forum. But maybe I don't know what I'm talking about. I've only been playing guitar and messing around with recording since before some of the people on this forum were even born. But then again, you think two guitarist playing the exact same part is "faggy" as well. So...there ya go.

Ignorance is a disease that needs to be eradicated.

Cheers mate.

+1000 :kickass:
WELL SAID!

Mud-city, as far as I know this has NEVER been done (except for special effect), and with good reason

As far as I know, they did it on the last two albums, but sometimes with 16 tracks all for guitars all together (not counting clean-guitars or stuff, just 16 tracks for the main distorted guitar-sounds) - for example just take the first two songs. But I have to commit - no really big thing, with this kind of guitar-riffs ;)

Metaltastic: That is what Lamb of God has been doing the last few albums right? double tracking but splitting to three amps each i think

That´s the way I prefer to record guitars. On my band´s latest album (see signature-link) it was guitardude 1 -> 2 amps -> 100 % L and guitardude 2 -> same two amps -> 100 % R . But esp. with metal guitars that do more then three chords I would never tell one guy to play his part four times on tape.. duuude, that´s really "mud-city" and it even doesn´t sound good at all.

Cheers,
Seb

I have always thought multi tracking is about how many times you double a part, not how many tracks. Which means double tracking is when one guitarist (or two) dub their part once, like a double take. Why would you call it double tracking if there are two guitarist playing different parts? Then you wouldn't be "double:ing" anything, then it would just be.

Dual tracking would be a better term, since double refers to there being two tracks of one, not just two tracks. In the same way, quadruple tracking would mean four tracks of the same thing. But then again, quadruple could also mean simply four of something, so in that case it might be more of a interpretation issue.

I have always thought multi tracking is about how many times you double a part, not how many tracks. Which means double tracking is when one guitarist (or two) dub their part once, like a double take. Why would you call it double tracking if there are two guitarist playing different parts? Then you wouldn't be "double:ing" anything, then it would just be.

Dual tracking would be a better term, since double refers to there being two tracks of one, not just two tracks. In the same way, quadruple tracking would mean four tracks of the same thing. But then again, quadruple could also mean simply four of something, so in that case it might be more of a interpretation issue.

We're talking about rhythm guitars in general. Sure, the guitar parts on each side are different, but only in certain single note harmonies and shit, the bulk of the riffs being played on each side are still the same, hence why we call it double tracking. We're not talking about lead guitar vs. rhythm guitar here and calling it doubling.

We're talking about rhythm guitars in general. Sure, the guitar parts on each side are different, but only in certain single note harmonies and shit, the bulk of the riffs being played on each side are still the same, hence why we call it double tracking. We're not talking about lead guitar vs. rhythm guitar here and calling it doubling.

But that doesn't make any sense. A second guitar playing harmonies etc should be considered it's own instrument, not just as a backing to the first one since removing it would be removing a part of the song. Even if 90% of the notes played are the same they should still be treated as completely separate instruments. If you mic four toms with one mic on each, recording to four tracks you don't say "yeah, we quadtracked the toms" since that would imply that you dubbed the tom hits.

The same would apply to guitars. But I agree with Darkening, saying "both guitars are doubled tracked" makes the most sense and doesn't confuse anyone. And saying both guitars were quadtracked would imply 2x4 tracks.

You're right Unavoidable, "Dual Tracking" would be the more appropriate term by definition - HOWEVER, you, Darkening, and JJO are the only people I've ever seen get confused by this, so in certain cases I'm prepared to suck it up and accept the standard, cuz I think our way is actually less likely to confuse people than yours (as evidenced by this thread) :)

Essentially this has deteriorated into a debate over semantics, and while I agree with your interpretation, in this case I go with the status quo,

I've had a fair bit of success triple tracking for a single part, i record the amp using an SM57 and pan it L100, then i record it with a rode m3 and pan it r100 and finally a slightly less trebly recording with an SP B1 for a bit of air and that stays in the centre. I then apply impulses to each track (sometimes the same one, sometimes different on each depending on taste). The center track is usually lower than the two panned and is there for a bit of backup fullness really. All these tracks are then bussed to a group channel in Cubase where I apply some tape saturation before compression (having success with andy's c4 setting here). I get a pretty alright sound I reckon for a bedroom!

Wait... three separate mics, all across the spectrum, with impulses added (despite the fact that they're already mic'ed signals), shoved into tape saturation and then compression?

You simply must post a clip. Unless you've somehow inherited every ounce of awesome that ever existed anywhere there is simply no way that can be anything but the wrongest thing ever done.

Jeff

Wait... three separate mics, all across the spectrum, with impulses added (despite the fact that they're already mic'ed signals), shoved into tape saturation and then compression?

You simply must post a clip. Unless you've somehow inherited every ounce of awesome that ever existed anywhere there is simply no way that can be anything but the wrongest thing ever done.

+1

Clips plz :Smokin: