Question

Plendakor

Oct 30, 2010
hey guys
Quad-trackin;

Say I got my GT-10 with 2 separate channels + a 7ms delay in one of them to have a separated stereo feel.

If I record 2 times 2 mono tracks (L and R), I'd end up with 4 takes but performing twice. Does this make sens ?

If I do it this way, what's better: 2 different pre-amps or something when playing the first 2 takes, or the exact same sound just separated by a delay then the other 2 takes with another sound ?

Like for isntancE:

take 1:
L=Disto A
R=Disto A

Take 2:
L=Disto B
R=Disto B

OR

take 1:
L=Disto A
R=Disto B

Take 2:
L=Disto B
R=Disto A

OR

take 1:
L=Disto A
R=Disto B

Take 2:
L=Disto A
R=Disto B

OR

take 1:
L=Disto A
R=Disto A

Take 2:
L=Disto A
R=Disto A

I hope i make sens lol
Thank youuu

Also, do you reduce the gain with quad ?

Dude you didn't provide an answer to my question... the point being that I don't want to do 4 takes. I could, I sometimes do, but there I don't.
Also, I rather play 2 good takes, 4 begins to be less stable.

Dude you didn't provide an answer to my question... the point being that I don't want to do 4 takes. I could, I sometimes do, but there I don't.
Also, I rather play 2 good takes, 4 begins to be less stable.

Then don't. If you aren't gonna quad track properly, then just double track. There's nothing wrong with it.

I've never heard of putting a delay on a take to create another take. I just track four times. if it takes an hour or two, well it takes an hour or two. If you want a good sound, you have to work for it. Generally trying to beat around the bush ends up sounding off.

You can track 2 tracks and have an excellent result.
I like to have two different sounds (left-right) as if two guitarists would play on stage. But I also tracked 2 or even 4 takes with the exact same sound. It's also possible to blend two different sounds to shape the sound of one guitar... Try and see what you prefer but using a delay to simulate 4 tracks doesn't sound good at all imo.

Ok a delay sounds silly.. say you have a stereo setup LIVE, don't you put a delay between your 2 cabs if you got a cab on the left of the stage and one on the right ?

so what i meant in my first post was actually Double-tracking but with a stereo FX chain with a delay between both a a few different settings between the 2 preamps... which gives 2 stereo track or 4 mono tracks, result of 2 dfouble tracking.

Ok a delay sounds silly.. say you have a stereo setup LIVE, don't you put a delay between your 2 cabs if you got a cab on the left of the stage and one on the right ?

so what i meant in my first post was actually Double-tracking but with a stereo FX chain with a delay between both a a few different settings between the 2 preamps... which gives 2 stereo track or 4 mono tracks, result of 2 dfouble tracking.

The difference is you want a mono source to sound stereo in your live example.

When you double track you get the stereo sound free of charge without the phase trickery so there's no need for doing it the way you describe. It only creates unneeded phase issues.

The number of tracks depends on the song. Some records a single take, some double track, some triple tracks, some quad track and one records 100 takes. So do what the song calls for.

No. I don't see the point in that at all. The point is, either quad-track or double track. Don't attempt to squeeze 4 tracks out of 2.

Let's resest this idea. Stacking different amps of a single take can yield really cool results. When I dual track I usually do this for some extra thickness and options. Actually, even if you use the same amp with dramatically different gains you can get a cool combination of clarity and compression.

ok ! thank you

One last question but about impulses this time... if I user a VST for my guitar and it sounds great using the impulse, can I use my GT-10 pre-amps and still use impulses ?

Just curous about whats better because I don't have my gt-10 plugged in now

Can't tell you whats better- amp sims or the GT10. Thats for you to listen to and make up your own mind because there is no "better", just different. You might like one better and the next guy might like the other. We cannot answer this for you.

I've done the same take through 2 amps thing and it's cool. I did a record where it was double tracked w/ 2 tracks of JCM800 and 2 tracks of Peavey JSX. I do think the delay you're talking about is overkill. Worth messing with but ultimately you should be able to make a double tracked recording sound good on it's own.

If you use delay you might get weird phase cancel.
If you want quad tracking, just do it.
It's the same with vocals.
It's the suble differences between the takes (not only the little delay) that makes the difference