Been digging the MD421 on V30s lately

blackcom

Oct 5, 2003
Often I find I get a narrow, upper-mid based fissy sound when using the SM57 with V30's, specially on Marshall cabs.

However, when switching the SM57 for a MD421 I seem to get a wider, deeper, less fizzy and dirtier sound and on Marshall V30 cabs I allmost find it as a necessity to chose a MD421 over an SM57. With Mesa V30 I feel it's more like "polished" (SM57) vs "dirtier" (MD421). I have to do some cutting around 3khz for the mic to work, but I find it to be a problem solver when the SM57 just don't work with the band/music.

Anyone else sharing this opinion?

On a GT75 or V60 based cab I find a lot of mics to work, SM57, Beta57, TLM193....never tested an MD421 on a non-V30 cab yet, though...

Thread is useless without clips ;)

Nope, I asked if "anyone else is sharing this opinion", not for a mic "shootout". I bet lots users here tried both mics them selves. Anyone else here tried both mics on -their- Marshall V30 cab for example? How was -your- experience?

Woh dude, I think you kind of took it the wrong way.
You might have not, it's just the way I interpreted your post, no offense.

But yeah. I - sharing Marcus' opinion - am just really interested to hear this, for my part not having the opportunity to try this in person. Hearing this could grant me an opinion of my own.

The point is that anyone who hasn't used or heard a 421 on a V30 can't participate in this discussion. So clips are really nice to provide if you have them.

The point is that anyone who hasn't used or heard a 421 on a V30 can't participate in this discussion.

Not asking to AB some clips, more like long term experience with how the mic sits in the whole production when it is finished etc. ...you know, when opinions forms them selves over time?

But never mind, I'm pretty certain I won't use a SM57 on a Marshall V30 again. Every time I've done this I've regret it later. Way too fizzy/small sounding.

MD421 + Marshall V30 on the other hand sounds pretty cool. I have a Marshall GT75, Marshall V30, Mesa V30 and Engl V60. The Marshall V30 is by far the brightest one of them.

SM57 + Mesa v30, shure...but not allways.

Anyways...don't have complete AB-clips right here, but the first band in this clip is Marshall V30 + 57:
http://home.online.no/~mastr3/strandstudioaudiosamples.mp3

...last band in the clip is Engl V60 + SM57 btw...

Oh yeah, I've never gotten anything good out of a Marshall V30 with an SM57. Seems like their V30s have a pretty big build up around 700-900hz. Might just be the Mode Four cab, though.

I have a Marshall cab with GT75 and a Mesa cab with V30.
My mics are a SM57 and a MD421.

My view is that the MD421 is way under-rated for metal, its a great mic.

I would describe the mic's this way :
MD421 : Better bass response, more compressed.
SM57 : Better treble response, more likely to sound fizzy.

When recording a distorted guitar amp with lots of low frequencies
the MD421 is very appealing.

Blending between the two mics works very well but I think you need
one of them to dominate by a ration of at least 4:1.

I dont use the Marshall cab much any more so I cant really comment on it
except that it sounds good with both mics, but to bright for my tastes.

Everything I have recorded lately has been a 50/50 mix of MD421 and SM57 on a V30.... They seem to complement each other very well, each takes care of the other weakness.