Mesa 4x12 Slant MIC tests (ROSE OF SHARYN)

ArthurD

Jun 2, 2010
Brasília - Brazil
Well, I got a bit inspired this week and I found some time to mic my old Mesa Recto Cab, while my KEMPER is on repair. On my new room :Smokedev::

universox3.jpg

Teaser at creepy soundcloud quality (All files .WAV at the end of the post):

I also recorded some vocals for the Iron Maiden Colab (Wated Years, comming soon)...

Anyway, I reamped the good old Rose of Sharyn DI's thorugh my 6505 to test some mics and positions...
This is not a scientific test in any means, I just did to check how much mics (and combinations) sound different on similar positions.
When I used multiple mics I had set them on different speakers.
Some of the reamps I used the "silk" option on my Neve pre.

Also, some guitar tracks are a bit louder than others, because I exported the files with on my laptop, not at the studio...

The filenames tells what mics were used.

Royer 121 (EQd)

Royer 121 + SM57

AUDIO TECHNICA AE250DE (FAVORITE??)

SM57 POSITION 1

MD421 POSITION 1

SM57 + MD421 POS 1

SM57 POSITION 2

SM57 POSITION 3

SM57 + MD421 POSITION 3

I grabbed some impulses too...

6505 settings:
Red channel
Pre to taste
Bass: almost 13:00
Mid: about 10:30
Treble: 11:50~12:00
Resonance: 15:00~16:00
Presence: 16:30

Maxon OD820 settings:
Drive: 10:00
Tone: 11:00
Gain: 13:00

:kickass: :kickass:

Last edited by a moderator:
I would like to hear it with a less overbearing bass. Beautiful room you got there.

Burny, I'll go to the studio and ditch some of the bass on the amp, maybe 11:30 or 12:00 would be fine on this. Or take the MIC about 0,5 cm to the center of the speaker... I'm just concerned about getting that strange fizz...
I'll take the IRs I left on the HDD too.
Cheers!

I was talking about the bass guitar in the playback track. Sorry I wasn't clear enough.

Will listen to these when I have a better connection, but I'm curious as to how you're balancing the two elements of the ATM250DE. Do you find positioning matters less with it since the capsules are a bit apart?