Begotten

Frosties

Blind @ heart
Mar 28, 2004
Israel
Anyone watch this movie?

For those who haven't heard of it, it's a seriously fucked up movie. It's all in grainy black and white, with no dialogue at all and shows some rough scenes. The first scene of the movie is a dude (who is God) gutting himself with a knife for a few minutes, then a woman (mother earth) steps out of the remains, sucks his dick and then impregnates herself with his semen. And that's the first 15 minutes.

I can't say I enjoyed watching it, and I definately won't watch it again because it's really drawn out, but once was interesting.

It's a movie filled with symbolism and "meaning" so I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts or interpritations.

And to keep this music-related, here is an un-official video of the black metal band Silencer that has segments of the movie (if you're like me, try to block out the horrendous vocals):
[ame]http://youtube.com/watch?v=7kDuGlw2NUo[/ame]

And here is Marilyn Mansons official video for the song Cryptorchid that has scenes from the song as well:
[ame]http://youtube.com/watch?v=F8pnsvkBPD4[/ame]

I've seen it, it's really fucking weird. I had to check imdb, I saw it years ago. Funny how imdb recommended The Eraser on it's page, now that's a weird movie, although Begotten is probably the strangest film I've seen.

It's not my favorite Lynch, but an interesting film none the less. I have to be in a very specific mood, with a lot of patience to watch it. Because the whole film is very non linear and basically multiple metaphors pieced together. Although most of Lynch's films are like that, just not to the extent Eraserhead is. Tbh I prefer his others like Mulholland Dr, Blue Velvet, Elephant Man and Lost Highway for example, although most of his work is impressive.

Really want to see this film.. My friend told me about it a while back and showed me some youtube video where someone had put a Silencer track over some footage.

But yes.. Never managed to find a working version of it .. Guess i might have to try and buy it.

It's a movie filled with symbolism and "meaning" so I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts or interpritations.

When I watched it there was a written explanation at the end. It kind of made sense, but the film was so grainy I couldn't see what was going on most of the time, so it was hard to relate the explanation back to the film.

I tried watching it twice, just because Katatonia used the cover of that movie as the cover for 'Sounds of Decay'. But after two attempts... I just couldn't get past the fail. Some neat imagery, but I couldn't sit through an hour and a half of that. I'd rather just stare at the front cover to 'Sounds of Decay'.