Nov 11, 2001
Ireland
Visit site
Behemoth - Demigod
Regain Records - 2004
Olympic Recordings - 2005
By Paddy Walsh

behemothdemigod.jpg

While Behmoth's last offering, the rather slick sounding Zos Kia Cultus, had its moments, at times it felt as though the rapid and layered riffs seemed to be working against one another. It resulted in a captivating but often frustrating listen, and the band, it seems, have gone for a slightly more straightforward approach on Demigod, whilst retaining that forward thinking ethic that has been a part of the band's repertoire since Satanica first reared its ugly head.

When 'Sculpting the Throne ov Seth' blasts off, it seems to be business as usual for Behemoth; raging blastbeats, Morbid Angel-esque riffs interspersed with nods to their black metal past and Nergal's overdubbed and ever reliably vicious vocals over the mix. What comes to light on Demigod is Behemoth's leanings towards a more middle-eastern infused sound, particularly with regards to the lead-work. As a result we find the album occasionally sounding like a more controlled and streamlined Nile. Not a bad thing in itself, although probably a comparison the band will come to detest. Karl Sanders even makes an appearance on the song 'Xul', and if that isn't an indication of Behemoth's current train of thought then I don't know what is.

Comparisons aside, Demigod is arguably Behemoth's best work since Satanica. It is surprisingly concise, refusing to allow itself be drawn into the directionless quagmire of the last two albums. Songs never drag on for too long, and each has enough individuality to prevent the dreaded death metal fatigue from creeping in. Production wise, Demigod represents what the band have been seemingly striving for these past few years, i.e. clarity without sacrificing heaviness. The guitar tone has a little more meat than before (although it still lacks the fullness of Satanica), and Nergal's vocals are always best high in the mix as he is one of the more distinctive vocalists around today. Behemoth's position at the top of the heap in the Polish death metal scene had appeared to be on the wane recently, but the arrival of Demigod sees the band reaffirming its strengths and adding a few new touches in the process.

8/10

Behemoth's Official Website
Regain Records' Official Website
Official Olympic Recordings Website

It probably isn't fair for me to add me thoughts on this seeing as how I've only heard the first 5 songs from it, but I actually prefer Zos Kia Cvltvs over this. It's a shame, really. This album, along with The Beast from Vader, are 2 of the most dissapointing releases of 2004 in my opinion.

Demigod is better than Zos Kia Cultus. It flows MUCH better and the songs show a much more mature band. Everything on this record is an improvement from what they've done before. Vocals, guitars, drums, production. This is already one of my favorite death metal albums PERIOD.

Bleakest Harvest said:
While Behmoth's last offering, the rather slick sounding Zos Kia Cultus, had its moments, at times it felt as though the rapid and layered riffs seemed to be working against one another. It resulted in a captivating but often frustrating listen, and the band, it seems, have gone for a slightly more straightforward approach on Demigod...
Fuck off.

i would put decapitated at the top of the polish bands list to be honest, i like behemoth a lot, but always feel they never QUITE manage to do what they are attempting.. it's almost like they are caught in between being a death metal band and a black metal band and not really sure which way they want to turn..

i certainly got that feeling from this album..
even though it definitely is a good one.
gonna be interested to see that on a stage in january in leeds, cannot wait for that (exmortem also playing!!)..