3. Conquer All
4. The Nephilim rising
5. Towards Babylon
6. Before Aeons came
7. Mysterium Coniunctionis (Hermanubis)
8. XUL
9. Slaves shall serve
10. The reign ov Shemsu-Hor

Behemoth have been around since 1991, and there seems to be a massive buzz about them moreso in recent times.

Some brilliant clean guitars start the immediately epic sounding 'Sculpting the throne ov Seth' before embarking on a dynamite ladened rampage. The Behemoth sound is an odd cross section of death and black metal, not really settling fully into either, with equal parts Nile, Cryptopsy, the heavier majestic Dimmu Borgir moments and the relentless barraging reminiscence of Myrkskog.

The sound hits and stabs like a million knife weilding psychopaths bearing a grudge against existence and so, on the evidence of this monsterous start, the hype is justified as they use the Morbid Angel and Nile Egyptian and Eastern obsession to great effects as their own.

As the album progresses, there are some wonderful technically precise sections and their vicious tightness cannot be questioned. It is a little one dimensional at times though, a problem I have with the similar Krisiun, Hate Eternal and Rebaelliun, and songs do seem to blend into each other a little too much. This album does get much better as it goes on though, and Behemoth do have more of a handle on dynamics and show off more than just an onslaught from time to time, by building songs up well. 'The Nephilim Rising' being a chugging, lurching example.

It's beating your skull with pummeling drum attacks and scathing guitars that is their preference though and they do it well. 'XUL' has some blinding moments and thrashes away without remorse and the fully brutal, chant led pounder 'Slaves shall serve' and immense masterpiece 'The reign ov Shemsu-Hor' show off the very powerful and potent majesty this album possesses, but the question is, have they done anything Nile or Morbid Angel haven't?

Paul Raw Nerve

Related Link:
http://www.behemoth.metalkings.com

I am really starting to take interest in this band. I will be picking up this album when it is released here in America in another week. I'll also be seeing them on tour twice. First in February with Devilinside, Misery Index, Cattle Decapitation, and Suffocation. Again in April with Black Dahlia Murder, Nile, and King Diamond.

not a bad record, but I feel that the drums are way too fa upfront in the mix and do not offer anyhting original. The guitars ... there are some interesting things there, but are somewhat burried.