Behemoth-Demigod

Astrum

Psion
Aug 14, 2006
Boston, MA
One word: BRUTAL 97%

Behemoth is one of the best bands out there. Seriously.

This album opens up with a foreboding acoustic segment, and then launches into a series of dramatic riffs and devestating double bass, which then leads into an all out vocal assault. "Sculpting the Throne ov Seth", a perfect opening choice.

Each and every song features the same amazing, double bass-fueled, mind crushing drums, head pounding guitar and brutal vocals, making this album an essential choice if you feel like headbanging yourself into whiplash. Each song never slows down or takes a break, and never gets boring. It is best listened to straight through, beginning to end, in one sitting. No single track is superior to another. There is no real decent solo work, but that is very bypassable. So far, I cannot find a single flaw in this album. Not one.

No band combines death and black metal like Behemoth.

Unfortunately, I cannot get past the vocals. I much prefer a natural vocal sound, to that over-harmonized grumble. This becomes very evident when seeing Behemoth live - Nergal positively strains to duplicate that lower register. Note his stage banter, etc. and witness his natural voice - far higher than recorded on "Demigod."
Otherwise the music and execution is excellent for the most part.

OldScratch said:
Unfortunately, I cannot get past the vocals. I much prefer a natural vocal sound, to that over-harmonized grumble. This becomes very evident when seeing Behemoth live - Nergal positively strains to duplicate that lower register. Note his stage banter, etc. and witness his natural voice - far higher than recorded on "Demigod."
Otherwise the music and execution is excellent for the most part.
He is double tracking the vocals - that is, he's recording low growls, and then recording high pitched screams right over the top. And he does it so well that it sounds like its one voice. I mean, it's up to your taste whether or not you like it, but I personally love it... Infact this is one of my favourite vocalized albums, along with Sound of Preservance. Most vocalists sound the same, and I don't know why someone who is innovating and being original has to get so much hate. Anyway, to each their own...

MetalNoob said:
Behemoth is so grossly overrated. I give this album maybe a 71/100.
I thought so at first myself. The album has grown on me though. It's quite excellent.

me? i enjoy writing, im a writer, and im not very creative and have trouble thinking up my own material. so i figure journalism, reviews, etc., are a good way to be able to write and have a starting point and not have to think up anything out of nowhere,