circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Behemoth – The Apostasy
Century Media Records – CM8374-2 – July 17, 2007
By Jason Jordan

behemothta.jpg

Black-turned-death metallers Behemoth break the silence for the first time since 2004’s Demigod, which, like many of their other records, was a stunning take on stout, Polish death. The Apostasy, for better or worse, isn’t overly different. And as such, it’s another worthwhile notch in the belt of this 16-year-old unit.

However, what The Apostasy doesn’t get as much use out of that Demigod did is the acoustic guitar. Serving as a lead-in and transitional instrument, the acoustic guitar not only fit Demigod like a glove, but sounded great in the context of Behemoth’s music. To be fair, though, ‘At the Left Hand ov God’ does incorporate acoustic instrumentation to positive results. Still, TA has its own flair – choir-laden passages, female wails, horns, Warrel Dane (Nevermore) – so the record does construct an unforgettable personality while it unravels. In fact, ‘Slaying the Prophets ov Isa’ is as grand as anything heard from Dimmu Borgir, Satyricon, or any other band with a comparable budget and an ear for grandiose brass.

While the trio has continued to skyrocket in popularity, due to nonstop touring, the musicianship is nothing less than jaw-dropping. Inferno (“drums ov annihilation and artillery”) turns in an especially riveting performance that should further cement his placement amongst fellow, extreme metal skinsmen. Nergal (“rhythm, lead and acoustic guitars, throat, new aeon propaganda and war strategy”), Orion (“low end frequencies and fornication”), and session member Seth (“rhythm and lead guitars”) aren’t slouches when it comes to lightning-fast riffs, smoking leads, apt bass rumbles, and gruff growls.

In typical Behemoth fashion, most of TA is relayed at an incredibly fast rate of speed. Yet, the most memorable song by far is mid-paced smasher ‘Inner Sanctum’ because of Dane’s (Nevermore) unique vocals. Ill-fitting or not, his bellowing adds spice to a tune that could otherwise be classified as average, aside from its crushing beginning. Also, The Apostasy isn’t as easy to recall as I’d prefer it to be once ‘Christgrinding Avenue’ comes to a close, even if nearly all the songs are instantly likeable. Plus, the Poles have crafted an album that some casual fans could go without, and it’s true that their discography houses superior entries.

When all is said and done, their last few albums are catchier and stronger in the songwriting department. At any rate, while often compared to Vader, Nile, and more, there’s none out there quite like Behemoth. The Apostasy, though not the most stimulating release ever, is one of the finest death metal efforts of 2007. They’re a very consistent act, above all.

Official Behemoth Website
Official Century Media Website

Neither they nor this new disc are exploring anything fresh, new, etc. That said, I think it's an altogether better effort than Demigod was. The sound, though slickly produced, is infinitely more natural for this style of music than the overproduced bombast of Demigod. The drumming is impressive - that is sure.

I hate Warrel Dane. It ruined the song for me.
I agree with what else said (especially Inferno's drumming - pure awesome), but I prefer Demigod slightly to this release.

I didn't get the chance to hear this one yet, apart from a couple samples, and I really want to hear it. :( It sounds good!

I hate Warrel Dane. It ruined the song for me.
I agree with what else said (especially Inferno's drumming - pure awesome), but I prefer Demigod slightly to this release.

i disagree completely, Warrel made this song brilliant. love his vocals