Behemoth - The Satanist

AngraRULES

Aug 1, 2002
Visit site
For those who aren't afraid of the band, I'd love to hear your opinions on Behemoth's return.

I know plenty of growl/extreme metal haters who have heard this album and, while still hate the style, have become Behemoth fans. They can appreciate what the band can do. Honestly, I don't expect many of you around here to do so (especially those who have so vocally expressed their hate for extreme metal).

My opinion? The many 10/10 reviews this album is getting is 100% warranted. Unquestionably one of the most powerful, meaningful, raw, emotional, aggressive, brutal, bold, diabolical, provocative and fucking incredible records I've heard in a long time. There's no question that the past few years in Nergal's life have shaped what this album is all about, and he created one of the greatest pieces of music extreme metal has ever heard. Yes, I am going that far with that statement. The album is brilliant. Absolutely and unquestionably brilliant.

PS. This is coming from someone who is not usually a big extreme metal fanatic. Give *the whole record* shot. You may be surprised. :)

Agree 100%! I cant stop playing the cd in my car. Takes you on a journey from the first track.

I have to agree with Milt's assessment. This album not only boasts a sense of purpose, but a sense of significance. It doesn't feel like "just another release". It feels like, after 23 years, the band has peeked, grown comfortable with their sound, obliterated the confines of their genre and delivered on their artistic vision.

I expect the aggressive nature of this album will limit its appeal on this forum. However, if you're one of those people who likes to challenge yourself occasionally with music that's outside your comfort zone, this is as good a choice as any. And if you're someone who finds themselves investigating those releases that finish the year atop all the year end lists, you might as well get started now.

Always been iffy on Behemoth. Some good songs - others not so much. Nergal is a fascinating and inspiring individual, regardless of what anyone says about the music - he deserves everyone's respect.

I really enjoyed the album, especially the last track, "O Father O Satan O Sun!"
The lyrical content is interesting, however the whole Satan thing is a bit overplayed, I can't really take it seriously.
As a person who enjoys extreme metal and most of Behemoth's past material, and I have to say it is their strongest release since their early material.

I really enjoyed the album, especially the last track, "O Father O Satan O Sun!"
The lyrical content is interesting, however the whole Satan thing is a bit overplayed, I can't really take it seriously.
As a person who enjoys extreme metal and most of Behemoth's past material, and I have to say it is their strongest release since their early material.

If I may offer a counterpoint (as someone who isn't even a huge Behemoth fan in the first place) - I would say this is the one exception where the Satan thing is everything but overplayed.

For a "nonbeliever" - it's an old adage that "there are no atheists in foxholes" - and while I don't want to get into a religious debate - I do want to point out the amount of courage it must take a celebrity (and yes he is a celebrity in Poland) who lives in one of the largest Catholic countries (that tried locking him up no less, for his beliefs) in the world to openly deny religion, get a debilitating disease, recover from it, and proudly state that the ordeal changed nothing about his belief system (or lack-thereof).

To me, the "Satan" stuff is almost like a finger to the face of the people in the media, and on the internet, trying to exploit his condition to try to get him to convert to their religion. I think that's really cool, and I'm not trying to be an edgy atheist here either. I know Christians who deeply respect his convictions and personal constitution.

His first public statement after learning he had leukemia...

Finally, I want to comment on some opinions which, provoked by religious circles, lead to far-fetched and inaccurate interpretations. I was surprised to hear my illness became a pretext for some people to embark on their own crusade. Opinions suggesting I might come closer to God or abandon my ideals and grovel to the only correct world view in this country not only surprised but also frightened me. This is a typical example of supporting one's own views by preying on someone's misfortune. 'He fell ill so he will convert to Christianity, he will discover the religion he fought against is actually close to him.' Halt! Why should the illness change my point of view? It is true this is a difficult time for me and the thoughts of ultimate matters are hard to chase away. But the idea that I will change my opinions, priorities, and values as a consequence of my illness sounds as if someone regards my head, and not my body, ill. Suggesting I might convert are ridiculous. To what would I convert? After all, I know Christian mythology pretty well, not only in its literary version, and I find nothing good, creative or beautiful in it. I read books better and wiser than the Bible. War, blood, blackmail, rapes, incest, pedophilia, zoophilia, collaboration and treachery – each page emanates with evil. Some may say I don't understand the message of the Bible. I'd rather say the Christianity is nothing more than a rusty and archaic structure that is going to fall down any moment. It lasts only because of the gullible that follow the shepherd blindly; without any questions, without any consideration, not to any promised land, but to an intellectual slaughter. So, I say to those, who see some chances to break my rules, and myself because of the illness: over my dead body!

I'm gone for a few weeks and the first two posts I see are "Satan" and "The Satanist". Y'all need Jesus. I'm currently giving this one a spin, I like it so far. At least this time I know what I am getting myself into, unlike when I was 12 and accidentally purchased "Demigod".

I've been a Behemoth fan for 15 years, and this album honestly shocked me with how good it is. Neither "The Apostasy" nor "Evangelion" did much for me - they were solid, but nothing about those releases grabbed me. "The Satanist," however, feels incredibly varied and creative, and each successive song grabbed me harder than the last. I didn't think they had an album like this in them, and I'm glad to be wrong not just about this album, but the band's future.

I listened to this album three times through before I came back to post. I didn't want to bullshit myself or anyone else with some bandwagoning.

So to start, I'm neither a Behemoth fan, nor a black metal fan in general, excepting Ihsahn's solo material. The whole Hail Satan! thing is usually pretty annoying to me for a whole slew of reasons. However, on this album even though it's front and center it doesn't bother me at all. Something about the sincerity and purity of the expression makes it just a thing here, and the way it permeates the album and is weaved throughout is masterful.

The music itself is brutal. Focused. Powerful. Incredibly intense. It's one of the most intense albums, on the whole, I've ever experienced, right next to Das Seelenbrechen from Ihsahn, or even Remedy Lane (though rather than making you want to cry it makes you want to rip something apart and scream at the sky). I agree with Zod and AngraRules in that this album has a concrete sense of purpose about it. Everything feels intentional and in its place for a reason. I don't ordinarily go for most of the black metal musical stylings (I abhor blast beats, for instance), and while I still don't like the things I don't like (shocking!) they're all built together very well, and they just work. The musicianship and writing are top notch, and all the performances are fantastic.

I was given a digital copy to try out, and after my listens I will absolutely be buying the disc. It feels important to support what Nergal's doing here, both musically and him as a guy (who I've always found fascinating even if not a fan of). Given the nature of the disc and my odd relationship with this style of music I'm not sure how often I'll listen to it, but that doesn't matter a whole lot. You don't need too many doses of this disc to be imbued with a very strong and long lasting impression of...whatever it is, the fury, power, passion, raw emotion, triumph, etc. This isn't an album that will be forgotten, imo. Certainly not by me.

For anyone that's brave enough to venture outside of the usual power/prog comfort zone for something brutal, passionate, and undeniably brilliant...this is your disc.

I listened to this album three times through before I came back to post. I didn't want to bullshit myself or anyone else with some bandwagoning.

So to start, I'm neither a Behemoth fan, nor a black metal fan in general, excepting Ihsahn's solo material. The whole Hail Satan! thing is usually pretty annoying to me for a whole slew of reasons. However, on this album even though it's front and center it doesn't bother me at all. Something about the sincerity and purity of the expression makes it just a thing here, and the way it permeates the album and is weaved throughout is masterful.

The music itself is brutal. Focused. Powerful. Incredibly intense. It's one of the most intense albums, on the whole, I've ever experienced, right next to Das Seelenbrechen from Ihsahn, or even Remedy Lane (though rather than making you want to cry it makes you want to rip something apart and scream at the sky). I agree with Zod and AngraRules in that this album has a concrete sense of purpose about it. Everything feels intentional and in its place for a reason. I don't ordinarily go for most of the black metal musical stylings (I abhor blast beats, for instance), and while I still don't like the things I don't like (shocking!) they're all built together very well, and they just work. The musicianship and writing are top notch, and all the performances are fantastic.

I was given a digital copy to try out, and after my listens I will absolutely be buying the disc. It feels important to support what Nergal's doing here, both musically and him as a guy (who I've always found fascinating even if not a fan of). Given the nature of the disc and my odd relationship with this style of music I'm not sure how often I'll listen to it, but that doesn't matter a whole lot. You don't need too many doses of this disc to be imbued with a very strong and long lasting impression of...whatever it is, the fury, power, passion, raw emotion, triumph, etc. This isn't an album that will be forgotten, imo. Certainly not by me.

For anyone that's brave enough to venture outside of the usual power/prog comfort zone for something brutal, passionate, and undeniably brilliant...this is your disc.
Nice post.