Behemoth - The Satanist

I have to say this about The Satanist - I bought the digipack. And it's got a really stupid packaging. I kept thinking I was going to destroy the whole thing by taking the CD out. Anyone also notice that the package design makes no fucking sense?

Digipacks are the worst idea in the entirety of human history. Nay... the multiverse. Perhaps Behemoth used this packaging for The Satanist to lend credence to my theory that the idea for the digipack was born in Hell.

SUPERJEWEL OR GET THE FUCK OUT.

1505_0__1245_super-jewel-box_standard-size.jpg

The worst digipacks are the ones where the albums are incarcerated (yes, that's the word I chose) in a thinner-than-hair cardboard sleeve. I swear to God, most of the times I just want to rip the freaking thing off...

Ugh, I hate those! You try to pinch it just a little, no movement, but you can't really get fingers in because the fucker's so tight. It's why I rip tunes and put the discs away. (well, among the reasons, lol)

Digipacks are the worst idea in the entirety of human history. Nay... the multiverse. Perhaps Behemoth used this packaging for The Satanist to lend credence to my theory that the idea for the digipack was born in Hell.

1000X THIS. The only exception is if it's one of those really thick digibooks like the last Powerwolf was in. And even then the disc better not be in some tight-ass sleeve that's going to scratch it on the way out.

Just out of curiosity, anyone else still spinning this one? I'm having something of a shit day so far and I wanted something as furious as me to match so I slapped this one on for the first time in a couple months. I'd almost forgotten how brilliant it is.

It is a good album but more of a novelty to me in the sense that "wow, Behemoth actually put out a good record again" more than "I enjoy listening to this a lot". So far, 2014 is continuing 2013's streak of killer release after killer release so I haven't found much reason to come back to this one much.

I picked this one up a couple of weeks ago. It's the first Behemoth album I've ever heard, and I dig it a lot. Maybe not enough to buy a bunch more of their releases, but it's still a really solid album.

It is a good album but more of a novelty to me in the sense that "wow, Behemoth actually put out a good record again" more than "I enjoy listening to this a lot". So far, 2014 is continuing 2013's streak of killer release after killer release so I haven't found much reason to come back to this one much.

I will definitely agree that so far last year and this year are chock full of amazing releases by a ton of bands. Since I listen to music all day while working, though, I have the luxury of revisits and investigations of new stuff.

This being my first Behemoth disc I'm still quite happy with it.

It seems that much of the hype has died down, yes, but I still have it as a top 5 of 2014 so far getting regular rotation.

How have the tour shows been, anyone?

Usually I plan for these things in advance, but some personal strife has gotten in the way. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that maybe I'll be able to drive up to Minnesota and catch the show up there on Saturday. I'm excited at the chance to see Behemoth again on the strength of this album. I kind of agree with Brian that some other really strong albums this year have distracted my attention, but songs like O Father, O Satan, O Sun, will keep me hoping at the chance to see the new material on the stage!

The music is interesting, the production is out of this world, the whole thing is in your face provocative and his vocals remind me of Max Cavalera from old Sepultura. But as someone formerly into the occult, the message and visuals are thoroughly disturbing, wrought with Kabbalist/illuminati anti humanity symbolism from start to finish.. which would account for the incredible production quality. It's a similar message ironically found in the inverted Kabbalist Noah movie. Can deal with Ghost because the message isn't as overt and seems to be kind of tongue in cheek, can deal with King Diamond as it's mostly about fantasy horror stories and even Merciful Fate for different aspects of their music and some songs over others. Dimmur kind of straddles the fence for me at least between Merciful Fate and Behemoth, depending on the song, as there are more things to find redeemable about it. While I respect his right to believe as he wishes and express his views, when a band goes full on Kabbalist, pro Illuminati/elite, pro destroy everything and remake it into the image of Lucifer, yea heh, that's where I tend to draw the line. I feel bad for the guy, to have this kind of hatred and anger after going through a serious illness, leading me to guess that he's been around a bunch of seriously horrible and nasty people that profess to be Christian or Catholic, so I get that.. but while he may be sticking his finger up to what he views as the opposition, in doing so he's doing the same to himself and everyone else. Can't help but wonder if I'd be the only one to even attempt to watch this (with the intro on who might be too scared of the band heh) as far as anyone else that holds to the antithesis view behind the song, but figure in light of that I may have to keep wondering if I'm only person that thinks this way. My 2 cents.