Behold... The Arctopus for PPUSA X!

Gunstar9

Skeletor Goes to Mars
Jan 30, 2005
Do I need to even say anything about this ridiculous oddball band?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhHZ5jVoTUk&feature=related[/ame]

Could we PLEASE have all wish list threads moved to their own forum?

I am so sick. and. fucking. TIRED. of seeing bleh bleh BLAH for ProgPower whatever threads.
Christ don't you people understand that Glenn has FORGOTTEN more about this genre than you will know? And he stays informed so that you will get to see bands you and everyone else will like...and avoid obscure bands that only YOU seem to like?

Don't you see that the most respected forum members almost NEVER start "O I wish I could see ___ band" threads? Maybe you should learn from the smarter people who post here.

LOL at Behold...the Arctopus being obscure.

And I can remember quite a few threads where people have suggested bands, Glenn comes in and says something like "wow this band isn't bad, I hadn't heard of them."

Not those exact words of course, but I can't be bothered to look for direct quotes right now. Also that would be just pointless.

Anyway, I love B...TA. Can't wait for their show in Atlanta with Intronaut and Mouth of the Architect.

Giving BtA a slot would do more for BtA than it would for ProgPower, being that BtA tours a lot throughout the US, but this would be a big crowd for them and mostly of people interested in their music.

Glenn doesn't seem interested in instrumental bands for ProgPower. So I'm doubting BtA will ever be on the roster. But who knows!

Giving BtA a slot would do more for BtA than it would for ProgPower, being that BtA tours a lot throughout the US, but this would be a big crowd for them and mostly of people interested in their music.

Definitely. I'm curious as to how their set at Maryland Deathfest went over.

LOL at Behold...the Arctopus being obscure.

And I can remember quite a few threads where people have suggested bands, Glenn comes in and says something like "wow this band isn't bad, I hadn't heard of them."

Not those exact words of course, but I can't be bothered to look for direct quotes right now. Also that would be just pointless.

Anyway, I love B...TA. Can't wait for their show in Atlanta with Intronaut and Mouth of the Architect.

Thanks for being positive. I thought the purpose of an "oddball" band was to pull in someone risky and different. I remember when I first heard Freak Kitchen I hated them. After seeing them live they may have been my favorite band at PPUSA.

I prefer his drumming in Blotted Science over his Behold stuff, because I love crazy technical instrumental stuff, but theirs is sometimes to off the wall for me, but they are good. If I wanted an instrumental band, I would rather see Spastic Ink doing their whole first cd, but their second cd has vocals, so they could do half and half and do a performance for progpower. Also, book Pain of Salvation, and Daniel can come out and sing the song he did for the second cd.

I prefer his drumming in Blotted Science over his Behold stuff because I love crazy technical instrumental stuff, but theirs is sometimes to off the wall for me, but they are good.

Well Charlie Z will be playing on the new Suspyre album, When Time Fades... so you can hear him there, and it shouldn't be too off the wall for you :) He will also be playing with Suspyre LIVE at their CD Release Party on September 20th at the NJ Proghouse, and for their ProgPower Europe performance in October.

Could we PLEASE have all wish list threads moved to their own forum?

I am so sick. and. fucking. TIRED. of seeing bleh bleh BLAH for ProgPower whatever threads.

Don't you see that the most respected forum members almost NEVER start "O I wish I could see ___ band" threads? Maybe you should learn from the smarter people who post here.

I agree 100% It gets old, and fast.

If Glenn's going to buck the trend and book an instrumental act, there's much more worthy candidates out there than Behold the Arctopus. And frankly, from what I've seen/heard via videos and clips, these guys don't sound like they're ready to hit the PP stage.

Oh, to have ten minutes' worth of forum administrator privileges and the 'merge threads' command, so all of the "_____ for PPUSA" threads would get merged into one place. :)

B...tA are really interesting, but I can't see Glenn booking them.

BTW, has Glenn ever specifically stated he would not book an instrumental act for PP? I don't expect it to happen any time soon, but I don't remember Glenn posting this.

I like Behold... the Arctopus quite a bit but I can't see them at ProgPower quite yet. I used to think so, but I'm not so sure anymore. I'd love to see them live (missed their first couple of tours, much to my shagrin) and they appeal to a lot of people in 'our community' but a slot on the PP main roster for the 10th anniversary? :Smug: The Showcase or other "related events" would probably be much more suitable, methinks.

Paul asked:

<<BTW, has Glenn ever specifically stated he would not book an instrumental act for PP? I don't expect it to happen any time soon, but I don't remember Glenn posting this.>>

Probably not on the forum but I've discussed it with him. I have instrumental bands like Morglbl and Indukti that I think would be readily embraced by the ProgPower audience but Glenn wasn't very interested. Years ago I even abstractly suggested Gordian Knot - he thought they might make a good opener! I don't want to speak for him but I think its not his thing and he is afraid that for some reason people would head for the exit doors rapido (like Pink Cream 69, Secret Sphere, and Virgin Steele!). Funny thing is that I first saw Morglbl play at Headway Festival in Amsterdam (blew everyone away). Indukti is routinely booked at metal festivals in Europe.

Ken Golden

Paul asked:

<<BTW, has Glenn ever specifically stated he would not book an instrumental act for PP? I don't expect it to happen any time soon, but I don't remember Glenn posting this.>>

Probably not on the forum but I've discussed it with him. I have instrumental bands like Morglbl and Indukti that I think would be readily embraced by the ProgPower audience but Glenn wasn't very interested. Years ago I even abstractly suggested Gordian Knot - he thought they might make a good opener! I don't want to speak for him but I think its not his thing and he is afraid that for some reason people would head for the exit doors rapido (like Pink Cream 69, Secret Sphere, and Virgin Steele!). Funny thing is that I first saw Morglbl play at Headway Festival in Amsterdam (blew everyone away). Indukti is routinely booked at metal festivals in Europe.

Ken Golden

I wasn't one of those who were running for the door when PC69 and SS came on stage. They were actually a couple of bands I wanted to see. Not sure why other people didn't want to see them.

See, it is the whole, "I won't consider X" that bothers me. While NEARFest has its own blind spots (The requirement of having a RIO band and an Italian Prog band in the lineup, for example), I find their lineups much more interesting.

Maybe it is because fans of Power/Prog Metal have such a narrow threshold that they will accept. (Looking up at the list of "hell nos" to this band...)

Jason