Behringer or Mackie for noob

rfahey86

Death Be Not Proud
Jan 15, 2010
Dickson City, Pa
I have been looking at a few different mixers to get my self started. I first saw the Behringer Xenyx 2442 FX mixer and was almost dead set on getting it but than cam across a Mackie 1642VLZ3 for only a few bucks more. The Behringer comes with a cheap usb audio interface but mackie seems to be a much more respected name. Any opinions or advice?

Why do you need a mixer? Do you need an interface? Explain what you are trying to do, you'll get better opinions.

Ok here is the deal. Currently i am using a lexicon omega. This thing is just falling apart. The Level knob crackles when you turn it and the volume is not the same in the left and right monitor when you turn the level up (at some levels the right clearly louder then you turn it up a hare and the left is clearly louder and it goes back and forth the more you turn it.) Also this thing overheats and shuts off after about 30mins of use (have to wait awhile before i use it again). Anyhow i would like to get something better. I want to get something that will no doubt last for a long time but something that i can use for a small studio eventually. I understand with either of these i will need to use an external usb interface (the lexicon has a 24bit one built in) in order to connect it to the computer. The behringer comes with one but it is only 16 bit. Ive read mixed reviews about both. The behringer has really good ratings from most but some say the sound doesn't sound as good as a mackie. Usb aside, which mixer do you think will be a better investment?

Why don't you just save up and get a good 8 channel interface? Sounds like you will have to buy new one anyway. That way you will have decent AD/DA and decent preamps.

The preamps on both Mackie and Behringer boards are inherently noisy.

I'd go with something like an FP10, or save a few more bucks and get the M-Audio Profire 2626. A mixer is for live sound use - you need an interface.

Thanks for the help. I did some research online (reading pro reviews and consumer reviews) and I really like the 2626 but most of the reviews say that it is a waste of money because the drivers are garbage and M-audio hasn't updated them in a long time. Ive also read information about how fire wire is very temperamental when it comes to different fire wire cards (I'm not really sure what mine has because it came with the computer) Also does the 2626 work well with sonar 8?

I have the 2626 also, and never once have I had a problem with drivers or anything. It's been absolutely solid for me, especially moving from my last interface. I use mine with Cubase, so I can't say for Sonar, but my experience with it has been flawless.

Yep I've have mine for about a month with zero problems. The Profire had a few driver issues when it was first released, but they've all been fixed now.

i currently got an FP10, and my only issue with it is the bleed from the main outs to the line outputs on the back. When i use it to reamp it can get annoying. but other than that i'm happy with it. I'm aiming to save up for a focusrite octepre as we have on at college and i'm in love with the pre amps on that.

I have a mackie onyx 1640, with the firewire card, totally solid and great sounding preamps (for the price). You can pick them up pretty cheap now (I bought one when they first came out)

thanks for the input everyone. I think i am going to try the 2626. (Anything is better than this Omega POS. lol.) I have M-audio monitors and they sound great. Maybe the people writing the bad the reviews either got defective ones, dont know what they are doing, or are just too rough with their equpment.

yo dude, all i was going to say has already been said.
a few years ago i was in the same position and knew nothing, so i just went ahead and got the 2442fx, which was fine at the time, but not i realise the error in my ways.
the sound card it comes with is total crap too.
i use a motu 8pre now which is another interface around the same price as the 2626.
interfaces are the way you want to go man, for multitrack and stuff like that anyway :).
jam