Interface Upgrade

Norris-wf

Sep 27, 2007
Durham, UK
I haven't found any exact advice by searching and I hope this isnt the 'typical' interface FAQ. I'm just Looking for a little bit of advice here. I currently have a Hercules FW 16/12 firewire interface (http://www.etcetera.co.uk/products/HER010.shtml) for my mac but it doesn't have it's own pres on all channels, so I use a Behringer XENYX 2442 FX for its independent preamps.
One problem I am having is that I get a lot of crackling when playing back audio in cubase and I need to turn off the interface and turn it back on to get rid of the crackling, but it always returns. I've tried changing buffer sizes etc but it keeps happening, which is quite inconvenient.

So my question is, would upgrading to a device like the Profire 2626 be a major improvment on sound and also be a more stable system?
The mac is a 1.25 GHz G4 with 2GB of ram

^ I read that before I posted here and there was a lot of great information but I was looking for more specific information on the whole clicking issues, so am I to take it that its not the interface problem and is there a way to solve syncing/digital clock issues?