Midi Help Needed!

Norris-wf

Sep 27, 2007
Durham, UK
I'm running cubase LE through a hercules fw 16/12 on a mac powerPC G4 and whenever I run a midi drum track it work for a few seconds, begins to go fizzy then just cuts out. I turn off the sound card and back on again then it works for another few seconds, Does anyone know how to fix this or had a similar problem? It also happens if i use more than 8 plugins any advice?

well the first step would be to reinstall cubase and reinstall the hardware drivers as well. There is a possibility there are some intermittant connections either in your sound card or in you midi cable. i would try it in this order. reinstal first, then buy new cables, then take the sound card to a repair shop.

It sounds like your audio buffer size in cubase is too low. In cubase if you have alot of instruments going on at once, or lots of plugins you can get some strange artifacts such as crackly audio and the audio not playing all together. Change your audio buffer size higher and see if that helps you. Although while recording real instruments I suggest you use the lowest buffer you can so you will not hear a latency. Otherwise if you have virtual instruments or lots of plugins on a track and you are just playing it back, crank that buffer size as high as you can go.

In cubase go to (Devices > Device Setup and choose your audio buffer size) Some times hitting reset in device setup will get you buy in a pinch, so you don't have to power cycle your audio interface.

Let me know if this helps.

Cheers for the advice, I tried that out and its after solving the problem, I also changed the priority of the audio so that midi got a bit more and now its spot on. Thanks for the help
Cheers,
Sean