being wasted

Genius Gone Insane

http://www.¯\(°_o)/¯.com
Aug 19, 2003
San Francisco Bay Area
www. ̄\(°_o)
I don't know if you chaps from other areas of the world are familiar with the term "being wasted" but it's a familiar american term for being intoxicated. I am kind of in that state right now. I don't know if that makes me a "loser" for being wasted on a friday night and spending that precious time on the internet writing to you people, but whatever.

At any rate, i just wanted to ask you all, in your experiences, do musicians record better when they are intoxicated or is it kind of a deterrent, making them sloppier?

Whenever my band has gone to the studio, we have always been pretty intoxicated, and i think it has helped us sound better. I am wondering if you are sharing the same experience. With any luck, you are probably getting some right now, as i am not, but that is the way of single men on weekend nights even if they are musicians.

Cheers to metal, cheers to Andy and "the board", cheers to being intoxicated, and cheers to me eventually getting a good recording sound out of my guitar, which i have not been able to do despite having PTLE, a sm57, 5150, tube screamer and a mesa cab. Still, i have hope. One day i will get there.

well I know what you mean! :D In italy it's not "being waster" but the meaning it's the same.... I recorded with many bands, but I want ALWAYS lucidity when playing or recording.... I think we must be highly focused on what we're doing while playing or recording.... after that we can take everything or drink tons of alchool!!!!!!! :D
that's my point of view obvoiusly....

oh oh, genius gone insane has reached the "love you like a brother" stage.
I have no idea how you can get wasted on American beer!!!;o)
You need Frank or Tom to send you some proper german shit, that'll sort you right out.

I've tried about every method of being wasted in the studio, from back when I was playing to the odd mix. I should point out, I'm talking about 15 or so years ago.
Too much hash and youve got a mix swimming in Reverb the next morning, too much of Columbia and you've got loads of top end and compression, hence the whole 80's metal sound. I'm convinced drugs played a part in that.
I don't even drink when I'm working, there's a time and a place for everything.
As far as I'm concerned, what you do in your own time is your business, if someones paying for my time, the job needs doing properley.

Oh, and I've never had a drunk musician play better than a sober one.

How that headache this morning???

Andy Sneap said:
oh oh, genius gone insane has reached the "love you like a brother" stage.
I have no idea how you can get wasted on American beer!!!;o)
You need Frank or Tom to send you some proper german shit, that'll sort you right out.
German Beer???
No I think that you Andy have to send some Tennent's Super cause it's one of the strongest beer in the world (9.0 Vol.).
Or even better a trappist beer from Belgium, try "Chouffe", that's great, fucking great.
People told that Tennent's Super is the beer of drunk-men in scotland 'cause it's very strong, here in Italy we love it and I think that's better than the one you have there (uk) I dont' know why.

Maurizio

Andy is right try german beer! (Warsteiner, Rothaus Pils my favourit!-)
A little of Absinth is always fine too!
I also think when it gets to recording BE SOBER!!! Otherwise your doubled Guitars will sound like shit! And a drunken Singer will even not sound that good!

I haven't recorded while drunk, but I played a party gig once after drinking about 1/3 of a bottle of vodka. I thought my performance was nothing short of the usual high standard that I set myself... although a few days later, after watching back the video of the night I concluded that my judgement may have been a little impaired. :erk:

You need to be utterly straight when mixing.
(I once listened to Grooverider when I was on acid and thought it was really cool - that's how bad you can be thrown off!)
Playing in the studio, again - straight. If I'm performing vocals though, I'll usually have just a glass or two of wine/port to loosen up - I'm a very tense individual and need something to relax me a bit, or I just sound strained.
For live performance how twatted (UK slang) I get depends on which instrumant and style I'm playing. One gig in Melbourne I was utterly shitfaced - but still got accused of miming the guitar in an online forum! The riffs were piss-simple, mind...

The best bier comes from Czech Republic. Because it as good as german beer or even better but cost about a fifth.

Weizen, crystal Weizen, Weissbier etc. pp. is a pervers sort pseudo-beer!
The foreingners may think the german south (Bavarien) brews the best beer, and so te Japanese tourists enter the Hofbräuhaus in Munich.
But indeed the best beer comes from the north!
E.g. Beck's - _the_ standard musican beer...
Or father to the north: Tuborg.

Andy Sneap said:
How that headache this morning???

You mean the headache that set in around noontime while i was at work? I was still drunk when i woke up, fricken awesome...haha

I don't think we have much good German beer here, definitely not at the bars I frequent. But I prefer hard stuff personally, last night it was AMF (adios mother fucker), and it worked.

By the way, TWATTED has to be one of the greatest terms I've heard. That's hysterical!! I'll be sure to spread it around the States for y'all!

On a last note, I'm going to apologize ahead of time on behalf of my fellow countrymen and women for what appears to be the preposterous yet somehow inevitable reelection of our current leader, George W. Bush. Please don't hate us for it.

I've never recorded anyone that played better drunk than they did sober. Having people get drunk in the studio has actually casued a few problems in the past...

However, I will say that I've written some really cool parts after a few (or more) beers, but I couldn't play them for shit until the next day when I was sober. \m/

fabz said:
Andy is right try german beer! (Warsteiner, Rothaus Pils my favourit!-)

Rothaus 4ever!!
(you would stop drinking Warsteiner if I would tell the stories I know ...)

Belgium beer isn't good at all.
You know why Slayer have a song called 'Chemical Warefare'? It's
because of Belgium, Netherland and American beer ;-)

No alcohol while working, totaly. But what happens when the last tone
comes from the speakers in another story .....
And I don't drink while rehearsals and usually also not before getting on stage.