best band from the late 80's/early 90's who never made it big?

mdmatt4ever

Sep 27, 2006
well we have a long list of bands but here are a few off the top of my head and maybe one of these will be your pick:
love/hate
bang tango
circus of power
kik tracee
shark island
animal bag
jetboy
roxy blue
every mothers nightmare
tora tora

Pink Cream 69
Saigon Kick (They had 1-2 hits, but aren't well remembered today)
Wicked Maraya
Z-Lot-Z
Banshee
TNT

forgot saigon kick. i think they play just about every genre of music known to man. my guess same reason kik tracee and bang tango never made it. the label had no clue who to market them to

Circus of Power was sorta similar to SK, but with more of an Alice in Chains influence.

i never heard any similarity between COP and saigon kick. COP as you said were more dirty and heavy sounding and actually were an influence for AIC. saigon kick was more beatles influenced

How late 80's? How big is big?

Abattoir
Warlock
Hexenhaus
Intruder
Znöwhite
Axe
Ostrogoth
Gargoyle
Hawaii
Hawk
Black Knight
Wicked Angel
Griffin
Liege Lord
Salem's Wych

Bands that are still around but they should have been bigger:

Tarot
Forté
Adramelch
Heathen
Mastermind
Meliah Rage
Paradox
Skyclad
Solitude Aeturnus
Solstice

Junkyard
Shok Paris
Babylon AD
D'Mont
Tokyo Blade
Sea Hags
Treat
Cats In Boots
Beau Nasty
Malice
Cry Wolf
Diving For Pearls
Vain
XYZ
Britny Fox (with Dean Davidson)
Icon
Shotgun Messiah
Lillian Axe .. know they're also still going but they could have been huge

Junkyard
Shok Paris
Babylon AD
D'Mont
Tokyo Blade
Sea Hags
Treat
Cats In Boots
Beau Nasty
Malice
Cry Wolf
Diving For Pearls
Vain
XYZ
Britny Fox (with Dean Davidson)
Icon
Shotgun Messiah
Lillian Axe .. know they're also still going but they could have been huge

a couple of really good ones i forgot about. lillian axe are great and i really like their new album. cats in boots and the other band the singer for cats in boots was in called heavy bones both should have made. shotgun messiah followed trends to much to allow a fanbase to grow but all 3 albums were good even if each one was a different genre

i like XYZ, both versions of britny fox and babylon ad but these bands were a little generic

Topic seems a little vague but anyway, off the top of my head:

Psychotic Waltz
Coven
Target
Rigor Mortis
Torture
Seventh Angel
Depressive Age
Cyberhed
Bloodstar
Lob of Lemmings
Amboog-A-Lard
Hydra Vein
Caustic
Transgressor (Japan)
The Mist
(Master)*
(Insanity)*

And a slew of death metal bands...

(*Released albums in early 90's but been around since the early 80's, deserve much more recognition, IMO.)

Tokyo Blade

Most definitively, by all means (specially with Andy Boulton on vocals).

I didn't mention them or several others NWOBHM bands, since the thread was more for late 80´s when the movement was dimming already.

Ah yes, Tokyo Blade are one of my favorite NWOBHM bands. I really enjoy their latest album, too. It's cool that they're still going.

Anacrusis
Coroner

Shame on me big time for leaving Coroner out. In my defense I didn't put them in the list because they're so cult and so top of the line thrash, that even if they didn't made it big time (money wise), they left an untarnished and textbook legacy on metal (they always be big in my book).

As for Anacrusis I have to recognize they're good but the vocalist put me on the verge of going postal. Like Coroner, Hexenhaus, Toxik, Forte they took thrash way into the technical mode, an d due recognition should be given upon them.

These guys are from my hometown. Met the singer a few years ago. Cool band.

Nice band, nothing astounding but neat pure metal.

T-Ride is incredibly catchy, and although on the surface they're an amalgamation of what was over-saturating mainstream early 90's metal (a mixture of glam, funk, and alternative metal), somehow they sound fresh to me. In part I think it's because they really went all-out in the production, and they can flaunt their musicianship at times as well. Almost comes off as progressive at times, yet poppy. I wouldn't call them my favorite by any means, but I definitely think they could have gone a lot further...

Oh, and seconding Fear of God. There was a simultaneous grunge and thrash sound involved that worked in ways that sound ahead of both scenes, and with a major label deal and such a unique vocalist it's really unfortunate that they couldn't keep it together.

Last edited by a moderator: