Best Black Sabbath vocalist/era?

"Heaven and Hell" is to my ears the greatest metal record of all time. Dio was a giant, a god amongst men with no equal.

With that said, nothing compares to the first six Sabbath albums. (Ok, the first six Zeppelin albums are fractionally better!) So I have to go with Ozzy here.....those albums wrote and define this entire genre of music. :worship:

Best Sabbath vocalist was everyone apart from Ozzy.

Best Sabbath era was everything up to Tyr in 1990.

I'd like to clarify. Technically, he's a great singer but he lacks character and a certain level of feel that makes all the difference for me. I think he has his moments though.

I mean no disrespect to you my brother, but one of the reasons I put Martin up there with the late, great RJD is simply the passion he put in his vocals. In the studio, Tony sang with as much passion as......... well anyone I can think of, but everyone has different opinions.

Bryant

"Heaven and Hell" is to my ears the greatest metal record of all time. Dio was a giant, a god amongst men with no equal.

I am actually torn between H&H and TMR. I think H&H has a little more "memorable" songs, but for a reason I can't explain, I really dislike "Wishing Well" and I skip it. I don't skip a song on TMR though.

Bryant

Couldn't agree more with the above post, Love Dio-era Sabbath, almost as much as the stuff with Ozzy. Will always love the first 8 albums the most naturally but Heaven & Hell and Mob Rules are absolute magic! Big Dio and Ozzy fan, got to meet Dio just before he died. Great to see Sabbath back on top of the rock/metal world! New album kills \m/

I love "Wishing well". That song got only a problem. It´s on the album before "Die Young". IMO the best Black Sabbath song ever besides "The headless cross" and "Children of the sea"

In my rating of eras:

DIO > MARTIN > OZZY

In vocalists:

DIO > MARTIN > HUGHES (outside "Seventh star" he´s number one ever in rock) > GILLAN >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> OZZY

For me, Black Sabbath released only one weak album: "Forbidden". But talking about Martin he got a lot of good or excellent records outside Black Sabbath:

Giuntine Project: All of them! ("I", "III", IV")
Misha Calvin: "Evolution"
The Cage (with Italian Dario Mollo): "The cage2"
Bobby rondinelli: "Our cross our sins"
Solo album: "Scream" :headbang::headbang:

An overwhelming career I consider

I love "Wishing well". That song got only a problem. It´s on the album before "Die Young".

Actually the problem comes afterwards to dig the last two songs of the album (which I do nevertheless). The duet of 'Wishing Well' and 'Die Young' simply destroys me :worship:

I have to say that without doubt, both the Dio and Tony Martin era are my favourites. I much prefer the melodic and powerful voices of both vocalists, not to mention that the general change in musical style is more appealing for both.

I do appreciate the Ozzy era though, as it created doom metal, it was the era of the band I discovered first and it's enjoyable in a completely different way to anything after it. I have to say though, that Ozzy's vocals are very average and not at all that interesting musically. The band certainly never NEEDED him, that's for sure.

I really wish Tony Martin could have come back and done vocals instead for the new album, although of course that would never have happened :(

The Tony Martin era is typically overlooked. The writing and performances are compelling.I understand that Tony Iommi wanted those recordings to be solo albums. Try getting ahold of those cds. They are out of print, I believe.

The Tony Martin era is typically overlooked. The writing and performances are compelling. I understand that Tony Iommi wanted those recordings to be solo albums. Try getting ahold of those cds. They are out of print, I believe.

Actually I think Tony wanted "Seventh Star" to be a solo album. After the label pressure him on using the Black Sabbath moniker and precipitating the exit of Geezer, I believe Tony decided to carry on with the name and the new singer (Martin). Sadly being signed to I.R.S. Records at the time, makes now impossible to get the albums (except "The Eternal Idol") with Martin.

I was lucky to bought them at the release time, otherwise I'll be very frustrated.

Actually I think Tony wanted "Seventh Star" to be a solo album. After the label pressure him on using the Black Sabbath moniker and precipitating the exit of Geezer, I believe Tony decided to carry on with the name and the new singer (Martin). Sadly being signed to I.R.S. Records at the time, makes now impossible to get the albums (except "The Eternal Idol") with Martin.

I was lucky to bought them at the release time, otherwise I'll be very frustrated.

i actually got headless cross and cross purposes on cd sometime after the year 2000 but it must have been right before they went out of print

As I have said before, I prefer Dio over Martin because he was better live and just more consistent as far as quality songs. As far as a pure vocalist in the studio, Ronnie and Tony were pretty much neck and neck though.

Bryant

Dio was a better singer than Ozzy in terms of talent no doubt but Ozzy was better for Sabbath. I like all 3 (or 4) of the Dio albums but they aren't as unique or interesting as the Ozzy era stuff they were more standard metal. Amazing albums yes but lets be honest they weren't revolutionary. I liked how in the Ozzy era the way the songs stood apart from each other and each album felt like more than just a collection of songs. In comparison the Dio era was generic even if still excellent. Its all a matter of taste but I think most metal heads are too quick to kiss Dios ass may his soul rest in piece. Seriously fanboyism in general pisses me off even if its for someone I highly respect like Ronnie. That said Dio era didn't have an issue with pointless filler cough FX cough.

Just remember Iommi is the embodiment of all that is heavy metal and is the heart and soul of Sabbath. Which ever singer you may prefer he is above all.