Best form of metal?

metal is a cornacopia of stuff, personally most death metal
to me is crap- but hold on -don't get mad, I don't mean
it's crap for those who dig on it. There was a lot of great
death metal in the early 90's and there's been some good
death metal coming from Sweden, but it's not my bag really.
I don't get some of the black metal image, but of the black
metal I've heard the musicianship is outstanding.
I never really got into the vocals or some of the lyrical content.
I'm just an old thrash and speed metal freak.

But Metal is Metal and there's something for all of us.
Just Kill Axl Rose.

-OfficerNice.

my two favorite forms of metal are thrash and death, black have some good stuff but for the most part i find it hiding horrible guitarists behind keyboards...

anywho to answer your question id say currently death metal is on top as Nile Just put out the best album of the year.
and i expect cryptopsy is soon to follow....

to officer nice ... i think your way off base, most of the swedish death metal is the worst crap out there... only theory in practice is the band i see that is at least fit to be called death metal... the rest is symplistic and not even related to death metal... why it gets called death metal is beyond me...

-Necro

Subject to change (depending on my mood):

1. Ultra-heavy, newer, death/thrash (new Testament, Invocator, Meshuggah, Nevermore, Soul Embraced, Arch Enemy, Carnal Forge)

2. Old school 80s speed and thrash (Slayer, Megadeth, you know who the hell I mean)

3. Brutal black (brutal death with black vox) brutal death and grind (Cryptopsy, Absu, Kult ov Azazel, Morbid Angel, The Berzerker...)

4. Thrashy black (Dragonlord, Dimmu Borgir)

5. Atmospheric doom (Opeth, Aeturnus)

6. Melodic black (Agathodaimon, Akercocke, Emperor)

7. Melodic death (In Flames, Dark Tranquility)

8. Ambient (Neurosis)

9. Folk/viking (Tuatha de Danaan)

10. Power/prog (don't really dislike them, just don't know many bands)

to officer nice ... i think your way off base, most of the swedish death metal is the worst crap out there... only theory in practice is the band i see that is at least fit to be called death metal... the rest is symplistic and not even related to death metal... why it gets called death metal is beyond me...

-Necro [/B][/QUOTE]

Well, I didn't get my degree in Swedish Death Metal,
and I'm no expert so, I'm bound to be offbase once or twice.