Best free Virus Protection software?

Metaltastic

Feb 20, 2005
Alright, so my subscription to Zonealarm is about to expire, and I'm done with that resource-gobbling money pit, so to any of you techies, what would you recommend as the best free anti-virus software? I'm already rocking Spybot and Spyware Blaster, but I highly doubt those are enough to cover my comp entirely.

Keep free ZoneAlarm as your firewall... for viruses, I'd usually say AVG but I don't know if anything free has it beaten yet. For spyware I'd also get Ad-Aware; that, Spybot, and SB are spyware - not virus - protection. Avira, Avast, and BitDefender also have decent reputations, might try those.

Jeff

Avast Home 4.8 Free is my favorite by far... AVG 7 free was great, but seems to be going downhill alot since the latest 8.0 update where they've been trying to clog it up with too many features. Also Avira AntiVir PE is supposed to be as good as avast but i havent checked it out. F-Secure Blacklight is a great free scan for root-kits, a-squared free is fantastic for anti-malware app, Lavasoft Ad-Aware is my favorite for anti-spyware. Then there's also CC Cleaner a good handy tool for cleaning registry, hidden add/remove programs and start up items, tweaking etc...

I was using AVG for a couple of years, but lately things have gotten by it. I've since switched to Avast. So far it seems good, and I like that it offers more levels of protection. But it's still too early to tell how effective it really is. For spyware, I'm using SuperAntiSpyware and Spybot (mainly for TeaTimer registry protection).

I've been using Avast for about 3 years and haven't ever had an issue. Between that, Spybot, and Ad-Aware, thats probably all you'd need

I'm using AVG Free 8 (daily scanning, no realtime scanning), and Comodo firewall pro

Anyone know how to remove a RootKit?
I can detect one if I boot from Ultimate Boot CD windows, but can't remove it (says I need to restart to remove it, but doesn't work) Same program from the installed windows can't see it.

My surfstation (a.k.a. Windows PC) runs

Zonealarm firewall,
Avast! anti-virus/on-access scanner,
Spybot search&destroy,
AdAware (occasionally run that)

I've had this setup for 4-5 yrs now, no problems, no infections. I mean my PC.

Avast! updates its virusdb automatically, and even the upgrades of the App itself just require your acknowledgement when available. (On slower systems you might want to turn off the auto-updates and on-access scanning when working with a DAW.)

I'm using AVG Free 8 (daily scanning, no realtime scanning), and Comodo firewall pro

Anyone know how to remove a RootKit?
I can detect one if I boot from Ultimate Boot CD windows, but can't remove it (says I need to restart to remove it, but doesn't work) Same program from the installed windows can't see it.

I think you wouldn't be able to remove a rootkit in UBCD because all the programs run from the menu, except ntfs4dos i think it is, can only run with NTFS read support. So you would need to download and install this rootkit program your using to your hard drive, boot into ntfs4dos in read/write mode and run the rootkit checker from your drive...or you could try downloading and running it in a dos window from windows, but that probably wouldn't work. Other wise try F-secure blacklight, rootkit revealer, or a-squared from windows.

To me, the antivirus software is just about as important as every other piece of software in my computer.
So I am using F-Secure, which has multiple engines(Kaspersky, Orion, Gemini, Norman are the ones I know of.), but it aint free I tell you(Unless your father is certified by f-secure like my is.). ;)

I have never had any problems with it eating too much cpu, or detecting virus.
Im running vista, and om surfing the web like theres no tomorrow, and I still havent got any virus.

Jesus.

I'm so glad I used macs now.

FUCK, I repeat FUCK having 19 different programs to scan for viruses, spyware, adware, etc.

I never worry about SHIT! Bare bones OS X is the Jesus of computing.