Best Guitar Tones?

speed

Nov 19, 2001
Visit site
What are your favorite guitar tones by guitarist or album?

Personally I am a big fan of the tones of Kyuss, Crowbar, and Zakk Wylde.

Destruction - Eternal Devastation ...
Exodus - Tempo ...

I love buzzsaw, cutting tones

I love Zakk Wylde's guitar tones. I remember the first time hearing those fucking chunky EMG pickups on the concentric circled Les Paul when No Rest for the Wicked came out. My ears practically fell off. And then I saw the Moscow Peace Festival where Ozzy played, and Zakk had that guitar swinging around his neck...and then he played Sweet Leaf back to back with War Pigs (he merged the two). Fuck, he was a demon for Ozzy.

Otherwise I liked Malmsteen's sound on Eclipse. Always wanted to emulate that sound, and never could, even with my HS-1 and HS-3 pickups; Smith & Murray on Powerslave; the Ammot brothers have a great guitar tone on Wages of Sin....

Ah, the list is a long one.

ONE FUCKING SONG AND IT'S SAMPLED, NOT EVEN A GUITAR.

Nine Inch Nails - Mr. Self Destruct

That and Black Sabbath - Lord of This World as covered by CORROSION OF CONFORMITY.

Can';t beat either one.

Enslaved, especially in the Viking era - such a forbidding yet triumphant sound.
Katatonia - I'm always enchanted by Anders' simple yet hypnotic tone
King Crimson (most eras) - The master at work, and it's always a joy to hear Fripp and Belew's chemistry.

Marksveld said:
Temnozor[/QUOTEThe guitar sound on Sorcery is Strengthening the Black Glory of Rus' is PAINFUL. It's NOT good, it's way to trebly.

Nattens Madrigal has excellent sounding guitars, fitting the atmosphere very very well. Damn that's a good album.

Dismember - Like an everflowing stream
Entombed - Left hand path
Katatonia - DODS + BMD
Kreator - Coma of souls
and the list goes on...

fotmbm said:
Marksveld said:
Temnozor[/QUOTEThe guitar sound on Sorcery is Strengthening the Black Glory of Rus' is PAINFUL. It's NOT good, it's way to trebly.

Nattens Madrigal has excellent sounding guitars, fitting the atmosphere very very well. Damn that's a good album.

I was pretty much referring to "Horizons...". I've been trying to get a copy of Sorcery for a while, so I haven't heard it.

And I agree with Nattens Madrigal... if it had any other guitar sound, it wouldn't be what it is... even if it is completely shrill.

Judas Priest - Living Bad Dreams

Other than that, mine! :D Bass & Gain up to 10, everything else on 0. E5 power chord sounds like a rocket taking off :cool:

It's not something I pay attention to very much but one that comes to mind is Arckanum, I love that harsh buzzsaw shreding sound he has, pretty similar to Nattens Madrigal I guess

Demonspell said:
King Crimson (most eras) - The master at work, and it's always a joy to hear Fripp and Belew's chemistry.
The best clean guitar tone in the history of life is found on The ConstruKction of Light.

White Zombie - Astro Creep
Great thick tone, this is pretty close to ideal to me.

Kyuss/QOTSA - all
Josh Homme has that ability to sound extremely thick but also very clear at the same time.

Morbid Angel - Formulas Fatal to the Flesh
Trey always has a unique tone, but on this album he could demolish buildings.

Completely forgot about Type O Negative, their guitar, bass, and drum tones are all incredible and instantly recognizable. One of the best bands to emerge from the 1990s.

Type O Negative >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Unholy*

*never heard them