I suppose you guys have heard Zorran's clips...?

Rex Rocker

Call me Hugo!
Dec 21, 2007
Mexico
If not:

www.soundclick.com/zorran

I particularly dig his Mark IV tones. One of my favorite recorded tones for sure... I wonder if anyone knows around here if he's using a boost to get those tones or is it guitar plugged straight into the amp.

Thanks.

Yeah, says so on the comments. Can impulses be loaded into the Palmer PDI?

Anyway, yeah, I like his Splawn and Uberschall clips, but the Mark IV ones will always be my favorite.

oh... is it any good? I'm guessing going impulses is better?

I haven't used one, so I can't say from personal experience. Here's what Gearslutz has to say on the matter though: Palmer PDI-03.

The Palmer stuff is not at all cheap; it's marketed as pro-level gear and some big names have used it- Joe Satriani, Eddie Van Halen, there's a Palmer unit in a recent shot of Jerry Cantrell's rack, so I guess it's probably pretty decent. It's a load box and a DI in addition to being a speaker emulator.

The good thing about having a guitar sound that don't have higher frequencies than 2kHz is that everything else gets crystal clear without being too loud (Release, Surrounded and Vulvacure). Awesome riffs. With the right vocals, I'd buy the album. The Palmer sounds like ass though. Actually didn't like the Splawn either.

Zorran sold me on a Mark IV way back in the day. When I go back and listen to his clips now, I am not quite as impressed.

oh... is it any good? I'm guessing going impulses is better?

impulses are way better; I own the PDI03, and it's good; and very handy for live/demo's; but I'd pick impulses over it every day of the week.