best kontakt strings

RichMinerva

New Metal Member
Jul 27, 2009
hey guys just looking for some kontakt strings :)

which are best iyo

i really like the sound of joeys orchestral stuff

I use Garritan stuff. They're stuff sounds great and it's cheap as shit. $150 for a full orchestral library. I got a buddy who uses eastwest and I was blown away by it. Probably going to get their complete composer package soon, I do a lot more classical composition than I do metal nowadays.

only one kontakt out of that group is LA scoring strings. But that is pretty much top of the line with hollywood strings it seems.

Both LASS and Symphobia (and all the ProjectSAM samples) are kontakt instruments.

Get Symphobia if you don't know much about orchestral composition, LASS if you know what you're doing. Symphobia's samples are very easy to sit in a contemporary mix, and they have a really big, powerful sound. LASS has a lot more detail, but isn't quite as simple as Symphobia.

VSL is really not as well suited for contemporary music compared to all the other products out there - the price you pay is pretty goddamn insane, but you do get what you pay for. The level of detail and quality in VSL samples is second to none, but a lot of that quality doesn't translate into a metal mix as much as you'd think - and unless you're writing serious orchestral backings to your music, you won't be using even a quarter of the articulations available to you.

As for the East West samples... I'm really not much of a fan. I own just about all the East West libraries, including the EWQL Platinum Orchestra package. Compared to the competition, it's not that special. Great price and starting point if you nab it during a sale (was 75% off a few weeks ago if I remember). As for the Hollywood Strings, I can't say I have an opinion as I've never tried them. Honestly I was never that impressed by the demos they have on their website, so I never took the plunge.