Best metal music video of ALL time??

The only reason i'd watch a music video is to listen to the music really, and to hope that it can possibly bring some further understanding of the artist's vision. A fair few times, this is not the case.

The musical artists or the video artists?
Because the video is an interpretation of the music by another artist of a different medium. Or at least how I like it.

Good music videos do exist but they are few and far between really. And honestly I cannot think of a single truly good metal video (that's not to say there aren't any, but I cannot recall one I've seen). My favourite music videos would have to be Chris Cunningham's work.

Is that the one where they headbang the whole time on the tour bus? Quality:kickass:

Total quality.

I'm not as huge a fan now as I used to be, but SYL - Detox is a great video. No pretentious posing or fancy set or anything, just some effective lighting and colour filters with the band and some fans thrashing out, mixed with with that mecha-robot footage that makes no sense whatsoever.

Damaged - Nails. Same deal here, just a bunch of hatecore/grind freaks going apeshit onstage. One of the most kickarse Australian bands ever.

Arguably not really metal, but AC/DC - It's A Long Way To The Top. How awesome it would've been to just see these guys rolling down a street in Melbourne on the back of a truck, riffing away.

Strapping Young Lad - Love, Because of its awesome evil dead rip off theme!

oh and also Wrong Side by SYL, love the cheesiness of this video but it works well

Devin Townsend - Vampira, because of the campy tim burton style b-movie theme.

Mayb Im a lil bias ;)

Kotiteollisuus never dissappoint me with their videos.
Doesn't matter if it's a performance video or a video with some kind of story.
They're all very well and professionally done.

This is their newest - Kummitusjuna (Ghost train)

Last edited by a moderator:
new Dimmu video: was not impressed.

some of the more mainstream metal/industrial/etc bands have the better videos - higher caliber of art direction, bigger budgets, etc.

NIN's videos by Mark Romanek (Closer, Perfect Drug) or David Fincher (Only)and Marilyn Manson's videos by Floria Sigsimondi (Long Hard Road Out of Hell, Beautiful People, more) are among some of the most memorable, for me. Also Adam Jones' videos for Tool. Love Stinkfist, Schism and Parabola. Sober, of course.

as far as underground metal, one of the most entertaining videos has to be Emperor's 'The Loss and Curse of Reverence;' it's just about every black metal cliche you can imagine, but it's all so earnest that you can't help but love it. A cloaked Ihsahn breathing fire, Samoth in giant Final Fantasy spiked shoulderpads, Evil Dead 2-style camera rushing through the frosty Norweigan woods... classic.

Marilyn Manson's videos by Floria Sigsimondi (Long Hard Road Out of Hell, Beautiful People, more) are among some of the most memorable, for me. Also Adam Jones' videos for Tool. Love Stinkfist, Schism and Parabola. Sober, of course.
Man I forgot about Tool videos, they are all amzing to say the least. And Floria Sigismondi is a master, I looooove her work.

as far as underground metal, one of the most entertaining videos has to be Emperor's 'The Loss and Curse of Reverence;' it's just about every black metal cliche you can imagine, but it's all so earnest that you can't help but love it. A cloaked Ihsahn breathing fire, Samoth in giant Final Fantasy spiked shoulderpads, Evil Dead 2-style camera rushing through the frosty Norweigan woods... classic.

Whats so different from the Emperor video from the new Dimmu video. Both are full of cheesy metal cliches that are enjoyable to watch.

true but Dimmu's was trying to tell a narrative (apparently it's a shortened version of the album's entire story arc) and I don't think it succeeded.
in terms of scope, though, it's certainly one of the most ambitious metal videos I've seen.

decided to take a look at that dimmu borgir video you're all raving about, ROFLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

seriously do people really like this music