Best Nile album to start with

justus x

Meat Puppet
Jul 17, 2001
I remember a thread discussing this recently, but the search function is useless and I skimmed through several pages back and didn't see it. I'd just like some (detailed) suggestions for which Nile album would be most representative of their sound/style.

In Their Darkened Shrines and Amongst The Catacombs of Nephren Ka, the last one would be Black Seeds of vengeance mostly because of the production (it sucks IMO)

Originally posted by Ultimate_Symphony
In Their Darkened Shrines and Amongst The Catacombs of Nephren Ka, the last one would be Black Seeds of vengeance mostly because of the production (it sucks IMO)

Are you kidding? Production on Black Seeds FAR exceeds production on Catacombs IMO. I would say Black Seeds or Darkened Shrines as a good first album.

Black Seeds is a little catchier (if you can say that about Nile) and is my personal favorite.

Only get "In The Beginning" if you are a hardcore fan. It's alright.

Originally posted by Nugent Goes AOL
Are you kidding? Production on Black Seeds FAR exceeds production on Catacombs IMO. I would say Black Seeds or Darkened Shrines as a good first album.

Black Seeds is a little catchier (if you can say that about Nile) and is my personal favorite.

Only get "In The Beginning" if you are a hardcore fan. It's alright.

that's your opinion but the production on black seeds isn't my cup of tea, the guitars are lower in the mix and the drums from time to time are too much up front, to me the production on catacombs is much more steady.

Originally posted by Ultimate_Symphony
that's your opinion but the production on black seeds isn't my cup of tea, the guitars are lower in the mix and the drums from time to time are too much up front, to me the production on catacombs is much more steady.

Yeah you're right about the mix...Catacombs is more steady. I just like Black Seeds for its clarity. And Nile's drums are such a "wow" thing for me that I kinda like em loud like that. But now I see what you mean.

i think nile is a pretty consistent band, so starting anywhere will yield similar results... (of course as someone said dont get In the Beginning first, as its fairly immature)

that said, i'd say go for their first acclaimed effort, Amongst the Catacombs of Nephren-Ka. It has a groove to it that would dissipate a bit on later albums, but its still quite heavy and grindy.

In Their Darkened Shrines is their best album IMO, but id recommend you get Amonst The Catacombs First as it's easier to get into.

If you want a few songs to download, try 'Ramses Bringer of War' From '...Catacombs...' and 'The Blessed Dead' from In Theur Darknened Shrines

Saw Nile live last Friday, and they were absolutely brilliant!!!:D :headbang:

WOow!

Just downloaded all of In Their Darkened Shrines and I got blown away. And thats because I expected Nile to be like progressive Camel style stuff and then I smacked on the head with Death Metal. Sounds kind of generic to me so far, what do you think it is that sets them apart exactly?

I like them because I think their songs sound good! Not good enough??

I like the theme of the songs and i personally think they capture the atmosphere really well. Their Drumming is really good. They have some awesome guitars eg 0:40 in serpant headed mask. Basically all of 'masturbating the war god'. The guitars on 'nas akhu kahn she en asbu' at about 0:45. 'multitude of foes' is awesome flat out. i could go on but i wont.

Another thing that appeals to me is that they are brutally heavy (i think you'd strugle to find a band as relentless (is the best word i could think of )as them and yet still create an atmosphere and manage to remain a serious band. Also i like that despite thier heaviness they still infuse melody well and really i think it's an original concept...at least in respect to their contemperaries.
Also personally i like a sense of epicity (?? is that a word ??) in music and i think that niles musis has this quality.

And really for what they do i think they are light years ahead of anyone else in their genre. (Well bar morbid angel tho i'm sure to get people quoting that and saying "eeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrr morbid angel and nile R NOT THE same GenrE DUMB ASS GO SUCK A MONKEYS PEnis!!!!1")

Basically like i said i like it because i do. i don't think it has to be justified any further than that.