Best Opeth Solos for people who know whats going on

Ghost Reveries and Deliverance are the best albums for solos, that general statement, I think we can agree on. And The Leper Affinity, The Funeral Portrait, When, The Lotus Eater, and Serenity Painted Death are fantastic others. Burden, Harvest and Windowpane for cleans. White Cluster has a cool solo but from an objective standpoint it belongs in the song about as much as the first Forest of October solo or the second Black Rose Immortal solo (which means, does not belong at all). And anyone who says Godhead's Lament is just being a Still Life fanboy. Fact.

Oh and I love The Apostle In Triumph's too but I barely consider it a solo because outside of the brief break where he sings the title, it's like 3 minutes of the song dedicated to solo'ing or something.

afj, deliverance, wreath...fuck it, the entirety of the deliverance album. and I've honestly always liked mike's solo in bwp too.

My personal favourite is the Leper Affinity solo. Its an awful lot of fun to play, and has got some great melodies in it - especially love the descending arpeggio at the end.

The more I listen to the solo if heir apparent the more i enjoy it, and it has nothing to do with the shreddiness of it. Fredrikk has such a great vibrato in this solo, it really adds feeling to it.

So let me get this right...

'People who know what's going on'...

So people who aren't musicians (or specifically guitar players) can not have an opinion on what guitar solos (or any part of music for that matter)? Their view is somehow null and void because apparently they don't understand 'what is going on'. What an unusual criteria to have in a thread title.

They have a lot of great solos, if you wanna sum it up, basically..

Opeth couldn't consistently write great solos until Blackwater Park, but occasionally stumbled into a couple of good ones, these include Serenity Painted Death, When, and The Apostle In Triumph. BWP and on it's all great minus over-the-top shredding moments typically seen in the latter halves of Fred's solos.

So let me get this right...

'People who know what's going on'...

So people who aren't musicians (or specifically guitar players) can not have an opinion on what guitar solos (or any part of music for that matter)? Their view is somehow null and void because apparently they don't understand 'what is going on'. What an unusual criteria to have in a thread title.

surely you didn't think i was serious. i just kind of meant under-appreciated solos.

kind of like how if you mention Megadeth to the average person they say Tornado of souls is the greatest solo as if the other ones are shit, when in actually there are many other solos that don't get mentioned that rival it and in my opinion are better.

surely you didn't think i was serious. i just kind of meant under-appreciated solos.

kind of like how if you mention Megadeth to the average person they say Tornado of souls is the greatest solo as if the other ones are shit, when in actually there are many other solos that don't get mentioned that rival it and in my opinion are better.

Ok, that's cool.

For some reason, thinking of Opeth solos, the one in Windowpaine comes to mind. Something about it - that first note that Mike hits with that bend - that is amazing to me for some reason.

lol just remembered this video i made of the leper affinity solo, more than 2 years ago so don't give me any bullshit criticisms, also the audio is out of sync because the youtube uploader fucked it up

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually I had recorded a few solos from Opeth to Youtube also. I think I posted them here on another topic but I don't remember, so here you go:

Deliverance 1st
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LdAT7Ouvrw&feature=channel_page[/ame]

Funeral Portrait 2
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LB9rRmGT0Q8&feature=channel_page[/ame]

Funeral 1
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwpe8yvu36I&feature=channel_page[/ame]