best SOLO string sample library

Sep 1, 2001
Chicago
Visit site
im lookin to buy some solo strings samples and am wondering what is the best library. right now im leaning towards "vienna solo strings". Im lookin to do something small, like a string trio or quarter would do. nothing big and epic. think matt pond pa, or perhaps the swell season or somethin.
I know a few of you guys here use east west, but that seems to have limited capability in the solo string area. sounds GREAT with a full orchestra, but once again im lookin for somethin smaller. Anybody got any recommendations??

naturally the vienna instruments is going to sound better, as it is more expensive and has more bells and whistles to make it sound more realistic. As much as you only want strings, if you get the east west setup, you will have all the instruments in and orchestra and solo'd. And if your like me it will only be a matter of time before you want to have maybe another solo instrument, or possibly a woodwind quartet etc etc.

DEFINITELY get VSL... EWQLSO Silver has way too much reverb to be useful in this situation IMO, and the realism with the solo stuff is tenuous at best. Gold has the same limitations as Silver in that regard. VSL seems a lot better for that type of thing.

DEFINITELY get VSL... EWQLSO Silver has way too much reverb to be useful in this situation IMO, and the realism with the solo stuff is tenuous at best. Gold has the same limitations as Silver in that regard. VSL seems a lot better for that type of thing.

East West still has to be better than MOTU, and more recently I have really learned how to make my compositions to sound extremely real. I think though if you pay at least 200 for a orchestra library it will be more than efficient.

yes this was my thought on this issue. EWQLSO would be great if i was making a score for a film, but thats not what im trying to do. Seems like vienna would be my best bet.
There was garritan stradovari solo violin and cello that seemed to be great (if you just want a violin or cello separately purchased ) but they have since discontinued that product.

maybe another alternative is the MOTU Symphonic Instruement. While not being the best, I have gotten a very satisfying tone out of it.

Some examples

Piano an String Quartet based on the Lead Cello

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7871805

Fully decked out Orchestra:

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7970349

I know the last one was way over the top movie score-esque but gives you an idea of versatility $200 can get you.

I use EWQL Gold XP Pro and I find the solo string instruments to be pretty damn good. I think it all comes down to what kind of techniques and articulations your going for. A good ear and programming are very useful in making things sound real.

For an intimate sound Kirk Hunter Chamber Strings are very classy sounding.