Best tone, Mic or Impulse

Pitbulltodd

New Metal Member
Jun 29, 2011
opinions please, i have a randall t2 head going into a 4x12 warhead cab with vintage 30's. will i get the best tone from micing the cab or by using the randall t2's preamp with redwirez cab impulses?

thanks

depends on your skill level in micing up a cab, and the ability to dial in a decent tone. I'd say right off the bat it's easier to create a usable tone with an impulse because it takes away at least a few variables.

Learn to master micing up a guitar cab using a single shure57. It may take you a while but learn to master it. Then learn to master using an amp sim+ impulse. Then draw your conclusions from there.

For rhythm tracks, definitely mic'ed (+1 to chrisrivalry's post, though). For leads or cleans, could go either way. Best to just give both a shot in that instance.

Yeah man, try micing up the cab with a 57. The sound you get even after some work might not seem as good as what you can get with an impulse but in my experience real always sounds better within the context of the mix, and most importantly you can shape it to make it fit the mix easier as the revisions keep adding up. Impulses are cool, but you have to really find one that fits the mix close to perfect off the bat because they just dont respond to post processing as well as the real deal.