Best Watershed review ever

Vivören

New Metal Member
Feb 19, 2008
Dans une meilleure maison que vous
This may have already been posted, but I am unlikely to care because this is too fucking dead ON!

On Watershed, Opeth’s stately soundtracks for snow-flecked forests feel more spacious and majestic than ever. Setting oboe against pipe organ and blues-rock solos against madrigal harmonies, warming their placid acoustic opener with a wood-nymph’s warble, letting nimble Celtic strumming evolve through ferocious horror-ogre thrash into an extended minimalist swirl, Opeth specialize in an eclecticism so ambitious you’re shocked it doesn’t topple over. Fancy drumming, “I Am the Walrus” cackles and track-lengths averaging eight minutes are ominous echoes of prog-rock excess. But prog was rarely as songful as the brutal beauty here.

http://www.blender.com/guide/reviews.aspx?id=5137

I see flaws in Watershed, it's a great album still tholl, I just prefer SL, and MR. Hessian Peel for example- to me seemed strung out directionless, but I ain't no Akerfeldt.

^how many times have you heard it? i thought the same until today, i suddenly realized it owns (i think it took over 20 listens)

i still like the song about bush the best, but wait till i finish my brewtal era and start listening to real music, guess i would change my mind

I see flaws in Watershed, it's a great album still tholl, I just prefer SL, and MR. Hessian Peel for example- to me seemed strung out directionless, but I ain't no Akerfeldt.

+1

Hessian Peel is very overrated. The transition from the prog into the heavy section is abysmal. It really lacks any semblance of coherence.

:rolleyes: To each his own...

Exactly.

Also... I wouldn't quite say this is the BEST review, although I do like it a lot. I'm quite fond of AllMusic's reviews (altogether, not just Opeth's. Even if I don't agree with their ratings, they aren't asses about hating music, the give excusable reasons why).

Read them all. Morningrise's and My Arms, Your Hearse's aren't that long, but the rest are excellent. Oh, and 4.5/5 is absolutely fantastic by AllMusic's standards.

http://allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&searchlink=OPETH&sql=11:d9ftxqehld6e~T2

Wow, that's quite a word soup. I guess in such a short paragraph it takes that many well-placed adjectives to describe an album like this one. And it didn't include the word "Mario" once.

I'm quite thankful I actually looked at this thread because I haven't listened to Watershed in awhile.

But through this, I have come to a realization. The less you listen to Watershed, the more it grows on you (I think this has been mentioned before). First listen, I loved it. Second listen, still did. Then, a couple weeks later, I listened to it all the way through again, and it sounds that much better. I think that a year from now, we'll be discussing Watershed and the genius that goes into it. Even the little things like the artwork is amazing. The one thing that I can appreciate with Watershed, as with almost any other Opeth album, is the flow. Songs just sort of piece together so perfectly on the album and the transition works so well. It's no Fear of a Blank Planet in that sense, but it still is one of my favorite listens.