Best way to get at least 8 mic pres

Ericlingus

Prettiest Hair Around
Oct 31, 2006
What would you guys do to be able to record at least 8 simultaneous inputs (drums) onto your computer? My firepod just broke and I want to buy something else because I think the firepods are way too unreliable. What unit(s) would you recommend instead that are no more than around 500 USD. Something that could be expandable is a must. The firepods can be daisy chained for more inputs which is what I was going to do. So I would need something else that would allow me to expand in the future to get more inputs. Thanks.

Profire 2626 or Saffire pro 40 come to mind. Both have 8 built-in preamps that aren't bad, and both can be expanded by lightpipe, and I think they are around that budget as well.

what is lightpipe? Never heard that term before.

It's the same as ADAT, in case you know that:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ADAT_Lightpipe

It looks like this:
Adat%20example.png

What do you think of the Steinberg audio interface? It's more expensive though. Does the ADAT allow you to plug more pre amps into the unit without bypassing the preamps in the unit itself? Say I bought the saffire and a mixer. Would I be able to plug the mixer into the saffire to get additional mic pres?

What do you think of the Steinberg audio interface? It's more expensive though. Does the ADAT allow you to plug more pre amps into the unit without bypassing the preamps in the unit itself? Say I bought the saffire and a mixer. Would I be able to plug the mixer into the saffire to get additional mic pres?

The Steinberg MR816X has superior A/D conversion and preamps to the Saffire, but the D/A conversion isn't as good, and there are stability issues. The UR version has even more reliability issues. Once you get them working, they sound great, though. As good, if not better, A/D conversion than RME, plus better preamps.

Unless your mixer has an ADAT out, no. But you could buy something like a Behringer ADA8000 (yes, Behringer, but it's actually a very good unit, especially for the price), and you'd have 8 additional pres via ADAT.

Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 is pretty rock solid on the drivers. I had a Firepod before I upgraded to the Saffire and not only was the quality like night and day (though the Firepod had a more edgy sound to the pres, which I kind of liked better for micing guitars), but I've never had a single audio dropout or driver issue in general since I plugged it into my machine.

The M-Audio Profire 2626 is about equal in pres and conversion to the Saffire, but there have been issues with it in the past (mostly running it on Windows, where it'd give you a BSOD), and M-Audio has discontinued the unit, so I wouldn't expect any further updates or support from them.

For $500, you could buy a used/b-stock Saffire Pro 40 off eBay AND a Behringer ADA8000 (I actually have one I've been thinking about selling, if you're interested), and you could be recording 16 tracks right off the bat, within your budget.

If you're using Windows, get a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40
If you're using Mac, get a M Audio Profire 2626

Grab any 8 channel preamp with ADAT outputs and you'll be able to add another 8 channels of preamps to your setup. ADA8000 sounds ok but is noisy. Other options include Focusrite Octopre, Mackie Onyx 800R etc.

2626 here. Never had a single problem with it on Windows. BSOD's are caused by IRQ conflicts, and memory allocation issues - most commonly introduced by a shared bus between your Firewire input bus and the PCI bus.

If you're on a Mac, watch out. They're phasing out Firewire in favour of Thunderbolt.

with the saffire pro, how many additional mic pres inputs can you add with the ADAT? Would I be able to add two of those behringer units for a total of 24 inputs in the future?