How you guys get 16+ pres

Ericlingus

Prettiest Hair Around
Oct 31, 2006
Hey guys I was wondering what you guys are doing to get more than 8 inputs for recording drums or whatever. What are your methods for getting that many pre amps? I have a Saffire Pro 40 with ADAT so I plan on expanding it with probably the Behringer ADA8200. Do you know if it's possible to expand it beyond 16 inputs? Could I then use the ADAT in on the ADA8200 and hook up another Behringer or ADAT preamp like the Focusrite Octopre? What is the limit of inputs that you could get with my Saffire Pro 40 unit?

one ADAT / Toslink can handle up to 8 channels at 44.1khz/24bits. 48khz as well, never used that myself though.
So you either need an interface with more than one ADAT input (eg. RME digiface), or a cascade of multiple interfaces.

Would another Saffire work and then have a octopre connected ADAT for a total of 24 inputs?

Any reason for needing 24ins?

I just Googled the manual and it had a whole load of link up options/possibilities.

Lots of interfaces have more than 1 ADAT in; with a FireFace800, for instance, you get 4 pres, 6 additionional line-ins (or 10 line-ins total), 2xADAT in/out for an extra 16 ins, and SPDIF for 2 more leaving you with 28 total inputs for pres.

With the Focusrite, it might be possible to daisy chain with another of the same unit via FireWire, or creating an aggregate device of the two if you're in OS X.

Quick googling turned up this: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/633452-daisy-chaining-saffire-pro-40-a.html

what about using an octopre of something that has ADAT to connect with the Saffire and then plug in another ADAT device into the Octopre?

I guess the only way would be to run two saffires and then an adap pre amp? Not that important anyway. I don't imagine needing more than 16 channels

If you want it cheap. Get a second hand MOTU 2408 + Pci-X card. Gives you 3 slots of ADAT in and out.

I have a motu 2408 running as follows:
- 1 ADAT in/out connection with Apoge Rosetta 800 which is connected to my lunchbox with assorted gear
- 1 ADAT in from RME Octamic
- SPDif TC Electronic Finalizer

Next to that the PCI 424 has the option for an extra motu device, in my case a 1224
8 - analog inputs from SM PRO Audio PR8E..just in case I need extra inputs.

well live recordings are exactly why I think I may need 24 inputs in the future. That's a long way from now anyways. 16 will do me just fine even if I do have to do some recordings live.