Between the buried and Me- Alaska out 9/6/05

aztattooedsean

crazed tattooed metalhead
Jan 19, 2002
Chandler,arizona
www.facebook.com
I like the mix of prog instrumentals along with the type of craziness of jumping in styles of heaviness or mello parts that one would see from cephalic carnage at times.

I can't speak for their older material as it really didn't do much for me but I do enjoy this cd.

i am also very surprised that Sean posted this thread. I had to do a double take, hah. But yeah calling this a "metalcore" release is very unfair. Has little to nothing in common with say As I Lay Dying or Killswitch Engage. This is definitely a very experimental album, one of my favorites at the moment.

The8thPlague said:
might wanna try listening to the band first.
Nevermind... you're like talking to a wall.
what the fuck are you talking about? I was mocking his avatar and praise of Between the Buried and Me. I love the new CD.

Reading your posts is like having someone vomit into my mouth.

I've heard about 1 minute of a song on Musichoice, and it caught my attention immediately. I think I'll pick it up tommorow.

Unlike so many people that call anything by a label, people obviously know really nothing about me. I know good music. I can't speak for this band's previous efforts as they did nothing for me. I do love the prog like instrumentals along with the craziness somewhat like you would expect from cephalic carnage on this cd.
I also love the sticker that was on the cover of this cd:

if you thought that system of a down was originally bizarre and that the mars volta was strangely ethereal and Tool was wierd but awesomely heavy... Well, welcome a band that you never knew existed... the deranged, progressive, maniacal yet tranquilizing world of...

between the buried and me

I still find the genre of metalcore and the bands that truly fit into that genre as some of the most intensely putrid music out there but I know what is good and this cd is worthy.

When "The Silent Circus" came out, BETWEEN THE BURIED AND ME took a sophomore effort and turned it into a career statement, one that would put heavy music fans on notice of great things to come. That great thing has arrived in the form of "Alaska", an album that is every bit the style blender of its predecessor, but this time a few new ingredients have been added to the musical stew. It's a marginally more accessible album, though not in a commercial sense; a better flow and melodic sections that reach out and grab should go a long way toward convincing the fence sitters. Those with a preference for traditional song structures and well-behaved tempos will continue to have difficulty with this one.

I still can't get over the Scandinavian style folk-metal vocals and proggy power metal melodies on album-opener "All Bodies", a song that's in the running for the disc's strongest track. It's the last thing I would have expected and it's catchy as hell, yet doesn't seem out of place amidst the tech-death firestorm. Then again, this is BETWEEN THE BURIED AND ME, isn't it? Hearing is believing. And it's not the only place in which the prog (as in the genre…hell, everything is "progressive" here) pieces pop up. "Selkies: The Endless Obsession" rides the style, complete with keyboards and clean singing, before turning things back to death groove annihilation, but not without keeping the listener off balance with a light dreamy section that features bluesy guitar soloing and piano.
As captivating as the melodic bursts may be, the heavier fare still reigns supreme, this time the death metal bludgeoning sometimes taking on a Swedish style ("Autodidact" and "The Primer", for example) and finding company with grindcore lunacy. Notwithstanding the southern sludge crush and PRIMUS-like bass sections, "Roboturner" is technical death/grind that'll put cracks in those Coke bottle glasses of yours. When the brutal death pig vocals on "Croakies and Boatshoes" kicks in you'll swear you're listening to CEPHALIC CARNAGE. Both the title track and "Backwards Marathon" bombard with crunch, groove, and chaotic speed bursts, and still find time for the light, the ethereal, and the jazzy.

Glad to see you like it.

I remember when The BDM 1st got signed to Metalblade, you gave them shit for the way they looked, then I told ya to listen to them & I think you ended up watching them at some Fest & you were like "Yeah my bad, those guys are really good'.

I thought that sticker was funny also.
Talk about trying to throw a bunch of really big names out there so people will take notice.

Between the Buried and Me... a band that just imitates good bands, but really sucks ass..

they ripped off...

Opeth
Decapitated
Meshuggah
Dream Theater

etc

Spheres of Madness (Decapitated)
Windowpane (Opeth)

and of course, they have very random and cheesy metalcore breakdowns..

hadcore dancers just love this band, i'm sure
just like they'll love the new Vehemence

yeah... i dont post very often. so?
i just post when i have something that i feel needs to be said.

i just don't see how anyone can say that Between the Buried and Me are better than Opeth. They stole and ripped off so much. The metalcore hardcore dancers just eat it up, too. I'm not denying that the band has talent, and i think they could release a great album someday... but i think they shouldn't be so blatant with their rip-offs.

ALASKA is a horrible album title, too.

That's like if Vehemence were to name their next album LOUISIANA, or NEW ORLEANS... or NEW YORK... or CANADA... it's just really lame IN MY OPINION.

Regurgitated Guts said:
yeah... i dont post very often. so?
i just post when i have something that i feel needs to be said.

i just don't see how anyone can say that Between the Buried and Me are better than Opeth. They stole and ripped off so much. The metalcore hardcore dancers just eat it up, too. I'm not denying that the band has talent, and i think they could release a great album someday... but i think they shouldn't be so blatant with their rip-offs.

ALASKA is a horrible album title, too.

That's like if Vehemence were to name their next album LOUISIANA, or NEW ORLEANS... or NEW YORK... or CANADA... it's just really lame IN MY OPINION.

What are you talking about? No one here said that BTBAM are better than Opeth. But who really cares who is "better". To me, this is an original release. I have yet to hear a band that mixes it up like BTBAM. And to say this is metalcore is bullshit. Its way too complex to be compared to bands like Killswitch, Atreyu and As I Lay Dying. I hear no typical predictable breakdowns on this cd, and trust me I've listened to it a shit load of times. Listen to some old Malevolent Creation, Suffocation or Seputura. There are parts in their albums that would be considered "breakdowns" today. Do you hate on them? The majority of metalcore is very predictable and boring I must admit, but this band is much more than that. Maybe if BTBAM dressed more like Deicide you'd like them better.

The8thPlague said:
Glad to see you like it.

I remember when The BDM 1st got signed to Metalblade, you gave them shit for the way they looked, then I told ya to listen to them & I think you ended up watching them at some Fest & you were like "Yeah my bad, those guys are really good'.

I thought that sticker was funny also.
Talk about trying to throw a bunch of really big names out there so people will take notice.

it wasn't the way they looked as I know some people don't have the luxury to grow their hair when they are younger. I just thought and still do to a point that BDM is somewhat generic death metal. It is good but it doesn't drive me to jump over a pit full of angry lions to see them. I can't believe that I actually talked to them way back and didn't know who I was talking to. They knew friends of mine in saprogenic, another killer death metal band from my old home of Michigan.

If anyone wants to see the ultimate band that would scare off the toughguy meathead section of the metal community, they should check out Gronibard. They cracked me up at Maryland deathfest as the toughguys didn't know how to deal with these crazy frenchmen.:headbang: